How can I get my son to sleep through the night?

He is almost 4 months old and still doesn't sleep through the night. Some nights he does really good and will sleep for 5 hours before waking up and other nights it's like he won't sleep at all. I always put him to bed at 8pm so I don't know what's up with him. Any help ladies?

Valo446

Asked by Valo446 at 12:10 AM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• be consistent if he wakes up in the middle of the night put him back to sleep and if it gets rough which it will keep strong on keeping him in his bed it may take a while and sleepless nights for you but it will be so worth it in the end
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 12:11 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• start a routine and STICK to it! bath, story, bed... always worked for us...
    Dork4Fish

Answer by Dork4Fish at 12:13 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• take away nap-time.....if he has one! He may be cranky for a bit but it's worth it in the end, although 4 months is a bit early to quit naps. My son was always a great sleeper from night one though, only woke up once a night about between 3 and 5 AM and went right back to sleep after 3-4 ounces. started sleeping straight through the night around 7-8 months and no naps whatsoever by 10 months, and slept at least 10-10 every night or longer and still does (he will be 3 in July)!!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 12:19 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• u dont know whats up with him?? UMM I KNOW I KNOW... HES ONLY FOUR MONTHS OLD!!!.. The baby is too young to be sleeping through the night. the older the baby gets the longer the baby will sleep. dont rush things give the baby time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• If you're getting 5 hours you're getting more than most! But sometimes babies need to be taught to go back to sleep. It may take more effort for a while but it's worth a shot. He may not be hungry when he wakes up, and he may not need his bum changed. Sometimes they just startle awake and don't know how to settle back to sleep. This is a skill that they may need you to teach them. So unless he's soaked through or suckeling, change and feed him. But first try cuddling him or putting your hand on his belly and rocking him, whatever he is used to for going to sleep. Eventually he will wake up and be able to put himself back to sleep.
    I find my baby sleeps for longer stretches when he's sleeping with me.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:38 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• This is still normal at his age. A 5 hour stretch is considered STTN for babies so he is, sometimes.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:50 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• He'll sleep through the night when he's ready. There isn't anything you can do to force it. Don't judge your parenting based on this.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:33 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I agree with pp's. He will sleep thru the night when he is ready. My son just started sleeping thru the night a week ago and he is 8 months old.
    carolinagirl075

Answer by carolinagirl075 at 8:42 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• My son wakes up every 3 hours, all though lately it's been almost every hour, he's teething...uuuggh! Don't cut nap time he'll be more tired well that's a no no for me anyway. But I asked my pediatrician she said it's normal. I asked b/c some other friends that have babies around the same age as mine have had it so much easier! Lucky them!!! I breastfeed so it's normal he wakes up, he's hungry.
    Naplesmommy03

Answer by Naplesmommy03 at 9:08 AM on Jun. 11, 2011