Looking for a good book on pregnancy

Something with a section on newborns would be great but not necessary since I'm just reading to brush up a little. I'm looking for something that doesn't treat me like I'm an idiot who's just in it for letting someone else feed them because I'm a bottle feeder and is supportive of epidural anesthesia if you want it,maybe a decent section on cesarean section and something that doesn't spend most of the book trying to tell me how evil and greedy the men of the medical community are.
I want to read something about VBAC,but I'm starting to think it's too much to ask for one that doesn't tell me how the medical establishment victimized me for a profit.

The local library has eight books on home birth,two on natural childbirth in a hospital,one on VBAC that is just chocked full of "your the victim of the evil men" language, and ONE 75 page book on c-section that is mostly a book to comfort women who's just been told they need one then any really helpful information.

So please any good ones or do they just not exist? I'll compromise on the bottle feeding if it helps but I'm so tired of hearing that it's because I'm just not informed enough(Sorry I fought damn hard to bottle feed my son I just get a little touchy about it and I just had another fight with my MIL on how I'm making him fat).

Sorry I know people have different priorities but I'm the first in my family to ever have a c-section, 4 homebirths,10 natural(drug free) hospital and I am the sole c-section(the only bottle feeder in 3 generations too) so I'm looking for a book because I am very alone in this.

So I hope that even if you don't know a book maybe a website that might be helpful(please don't suggest the ican website again or silent knife)?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 12:16 AM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• What to expect when your expecting be Heidi Murkoff is an EXCELLENT book on pregnancy! Also they make one about after the baby is born and then one about toddler years.
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 12:19 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I agree with campbell. Those are really good books
    canelamami

Answer by canelamami at 12:27 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I agree with What to Expect When You're Expecting, I always turn to that book when I'm pregnant. I've had 2 successful vbacs. The only complication I've ever had was the c-section itself. The vbacs went really well and I applaud you for going for a vbac, good choice imo! Good luck with your pregnancy and delivery!
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 12:27 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• What to Expect is a must
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:29 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Medicaid won't let me do an elective repeat c-section even if I want to,so on that aspect I'm a little stuck. But without complicating factors is does seem logical.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 12:35 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• The Birth Book (Sears) is good
    Birthing From Within (England) is good too.

Avoid What To Expect if you prefer that talking to you like you're a dummy-stuff.

So your library has those books stocked but you can request/order others to your local branch, too.

Are you saying that you're being "forced" to VBAC?
    Sorry. just trying to understand...
    What kind of help would you like?

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:47 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Have you been to an ICAN meeting?
    I see you don't want to go to their site~~)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:48 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Yes I'm being forced into a VBAC basically if you define it as I have little to no choice in the matter unless I want to pay out of pocket. I read Sears and England(also Bradley,Odent and Kitzinger) and really didn't find them very helpful for me but I tried to work with what they have. I would be able to request other books but I might have to pay for it depending on where they are.

Just a book that doesn't insult my intelligence but I do enjoy the week by week development and I do need help choosing a formula and necessary supplies for bottle feeding newborns.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 1:11 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I would try ICAN...
    I know... lol
    But they are cesarean support not just VBAC support~
    Those mamas are likely to have help, too.
    You might look for a local doula to help...
    And CM has cesarean support groups, too.

VBACs are safer but that doesn't make them "better" for everyone...
    You sound like you'd prefer a RSC obviously, but why not seriously consider the VBAC?

I like the kellymom site for feeding help. There will be links for bottle feeding there.
    Hope that helps~

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:32 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I'll look in to meetings they are a little far from here. I can't afford a doula and I'm already a member of most of the c-section mom groups on the site. It's not that I really have an issue with trying a VBAC I just dislike not having the options that everybody else does but I guess that just comes with the territory when your on medicaid.

I do realize that without having indications that a VBAC is the most logical choice but under no circumstances did I feel violated or coerced by my section. I don't relate or find them helpful in my case.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 1:54 AM on Jun. 11, 2011