4month olds legs turned purple!!!

so this family is staying with us, trying to help em out. Last night me and my boyfriend looked over at this baby, and his legs were purple, and a lil swallon. So we told em to take him to ER cuz that didnt look right. Within 10minutes his legs were back to normal, besides his feet were still a little purple. They took him in neways. The doctor said its perfectly normal. How is that normal? an infants legs shouldnt be turning purple. what could be wrong? plus this baby constantly spits up, even 3 hours after he has his bottle, whats up with that? I got my own 12month old but never had any problems like this baby has. thanks for all your help...

mybabychunk

Asked by mybabychunk at 8:46 AM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know about the purple legs, but my daughter is almost 8 months and she spits up a lot. Even hours after she's eaten, stuff still finds its way out. Some babies are just more spitty than others, i guess!
    I wish your friend well though with those purple legs. That doesn't seem normal to me either!
    cschwanger

Answer by cschwanger at 8:49 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Remember we as humans are different, It could have been the baby was cold.
    As far as the baby spitting up that is completely normal, some spit out so fast they remind me of the movie "The Exorcist". If doctor says all is good... it is good. GL
    They did good by taking the baby in. Hope all works out for them and you are being a sweet heart by helping out another family good luck to you.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 8:51 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• baby's are tiny so it doesn't take much for their legs to "go to sleep" and since they are so small, it has a much bigger affect than it does on us. THe baby was probably sitting on it's legs the wrong way or diaper too tight, etc. Next time, try a different position and see if that helps before going to the ER since you have reason to believe there is no serious problem. My dd's legs truned purple once or twice in the car seat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Had their been any pressure on the legs? Sitting funny or something could cause his legs to get purple. Or if he had been cold they can get that way all over the body.
    As far as spit up he probably has some reflux issues which are common in babys.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:25 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• my DD who is 5 mos used to have that prblem. if she was sitting on her bum and leaning over it would happen if i held her different and put uneven pressure it would happen. its just low circulation, as long as when they see it they shake their legs around and it goes away the baby should be ok.
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 10:48 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• My sons feet and legs turned purple all the time due to a way he was sitting or a way we was holding him. Perfectly normal. Also, very normal for babies to spit up.
    lanesmommy08

Answer by lanesmommy08 at 11:19 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Babys have blood vessL spasm quite often its actually very normal. Just remember to straighten the babys legs after a lil while Nd rub them the color comes back gradually
    wifey0417

Answer by wifey0417 at 3:45 PM on Apr. 24, 2014