Why is all the sudden my 5 month old refusing his rice cereal?

I have a 5 month old son who about a month ago started eating rice cereal. He seemed to really like it and did well swallowing without pushing it out of his mouth and would always lean towards the spoon. But now he cringes and shivers when its in his mouth and refuses to take it. He'll spit it out and show no interest in it at all. I didn't change how i was making the cereal at all, i've tried now though mixing it with juice instead of formula and i've tried to change the consistency but no luck. He showed all the signs of being ready for solids and did well for awhile, im just confused why he won't take it now. Has anyone else has this problem too?

Emilye93

Asked by Emilye93 at 1:05 AM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I expect he is fed up with it and wants something different .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 1:06 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• If you gave it to him every day for more then a week mabye he is bored with it try switching up
    QuEeN_bEe_03

Answer by QuEeN_bEe_03 at 1:13 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• he just realized it tastes like crap...give that boy some sweet potatoes!
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 1:21 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Because his taste buds have matured and he can now tell that cereal tastes like shit. I try everything my DD eats, and that stuff is NASTY! I don't blame him for not wanting it.
    mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 1:25 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• if he's tried other solids besides the cereal that's probably why.. most kids dont' like the cereal, especially after they've tried other baby food. and yes it is nasty tasting, lol. try mixing a little baby fruit in it, or just move on to other baby food.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:48 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Sounds like he wants something that taste good.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:34 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• it tastes like crap! have u tried that stuff yuck!!! mix it with some apple sauce or something! or heck stop using it and switch to baby food! its kinda early to even start rice but whatever floats ur boat!
    Anonymous

• It was new and fun and exciting. That stuff is gross in my opinion, and isn't necessary. I would move on to a fruit or veggie and see how that goes. Although I would recommend waiting until at least 6 mos for anything other then breast milk or formula, you've already introduced solids, so you can continue, OR you can stop, wait a few weeks, and try again.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:56 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• add some apple or peaches to it to give it flavor, or since he's able to handle rice, how bout oatmeal cereal?
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 12:30 PM on Jun. 13, 2011