What are the step parent laws or rights?

My husband just passed tour days ago and we hardly been. Raising his daughter.but now her birth Mom has. Taken her away

bobbyalways

Asked by bobbyalways at 1:23 AM on Jun. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't think there is none...sorry it's what ever the courts say or what the divorce decree says...GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:27 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• so sorry for your double loss, but there are no rights for custodial step parents
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 1:45 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• did he have custody of the child? Really that is something that he has to work out with his ex and if she is unwilling then bring the courts into play.
    othella

Answer by othella at 1:49 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• unless you were raising the daughter and there was a reason the mother didn't have rights (such as abuse) there is little hope of winning a case for custody or even visitation rights. I'm sorry for your loss, I truly am. But the only way I can see this working out is if you try to make nice with her bio-mom to try to see her.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:59 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• You have no rights unless you and your husband adopted her.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:25 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• You need to look to the custody agreement. That determines who a child stays with. If the custodial parent isn't around, I think they are supposed to arrangefor the care of the child in their custody.  This is something to talk to a lawyer about.  The best interest of the child should come first and the least disruption (staying with a step parent) needs to be considered.  A birth mom needs to follow the custody arrangement.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 8:09 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• My cousin who is an attorney told me my job was to stay alive, because if I died, he would get our kids if he wanted them. My family could fight all they wanted and he would win. I am sorry for your loss, but if her mom wants her, she has first dibs so to speak.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:47 AM on Jun. 11, 2011