Nobel Prize Winner Talks About God..

Link to the video. (It's only 3 1/2 minutes long)

Bertrand Russell talks about god and Christianity in the video, and one point he made that I totally agree with was " If you can't find out whether it's true or it isn't, you should suspend judgement."

Thoughts?

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 2:28 AM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Religious Debate

• What is "life's real purpose"? Is it to worship the Abrahamic God? Do you really think that there is a supernatural being who has existed since before time, got bored at some point in eternity, and started playing around with atoms until he created this great, beautiful earth, in all it's detail? Do you really think that a supernatural being who has the ability to create so much diversity with all of the same building blocks really cares if John or Sara spend their lives worshipping him? Do you really think that with all he would have to manage--because let's face it, his job can't have stopped at creating the earth, there's a lot of maintenance involved--that he would care if I think impure thoughts or stop what he's doing to listen to and try to answer the prayers of every single one of his human creations? Is there any logic at all in that belief?

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:05 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I don't agree with him because I hold my beliefs because I think they are true not because I only find it useful. I respect his beliefs and the conclusions he came to, but I've had my own experiences that have provided me with enough "proof" for this life. I understand my beliefs are based on faith and I can't confirm them scientifically.  I've spent just as much time as he has examining my beliefs and why I hold them. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:50 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I actually felt badly for him. When you are unsure, keep searching. If you can't find the answer, dig some more.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:52 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• i think when it comes to society as a whole, government, morality, & such, its best to be Agnostic as there are so many different beleifs out there. however, on a strictly person to person level i disagree. for every question he asked himself, others have too & come to different conclusions. faith is not science & its really limiting to faith to confine it to the measurements of science.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:04 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I found myself in complete agreement of the entire interview. He's so well-spoken and makes his points very clearly and intelligently. There's no evidence to support any of the dogma associated with religion, and it doesn't make sense to put blind faith in something of that nature--or to put blind faith into anything, for that matter. It does make sense to question and to be analytical, even of those things that we're indoctrinated to since childhood.
    >>
    Who says those of faith don't question? they just come to a different conclusion
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 3:48 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• The statement that Clarity agreed with has to do with suspending judgement about those things that haven't been proven to be true or false. Remember that the subject of the interview was Atheist and has concluded that there isn't any evidence to support a belief in a supernatural deity. The conclusion that adnilm reached wasn't based on evidence, but belief. She said that she questioned her faith at one point in her life, but came to the conclusion that she should believe in her religion of choice. I see no contradiction in Clarity's statement at all because adnilm didn't reach her conclusion on evidence but on faith, which can't be objectively measured.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• When a conclusion is reached without support of anything objectively real, there is no integrity in the conclusion.

Who says that the conclusion we reach isn't objectively real?
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 10:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• clarity333 ... you have seen the same evidence that I would present to you and you would make judgement to the negative. The point is that both atheists and theists make a statement of faith when making a statement either for or against the existence of God. The only ones who claim to not have any faith is really agnostics - but that is a temporary state. I don't believe because I have no evidence, I believe because I have accepted the evidence presented to me - evidence that 1) has been presented to the whole world, and 2) evidence that has been presented solely to me (God is personal God btw, so my experiences won't be evidence for you).
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 11:31 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Well I am by far religious but I can see where this would be of help to people. I mean if you let it go you will be letting go of a lot of stress. And if you do end up finding something out bad then there ya go. But I think the thing of this is not to dwell on things.

Don't DWELL, and definitely done REGRET the past. You can't do anything about it so don't worry about it.
    Hapsand123

Answer by Hapsand123 at 3:34 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Faith, simply faith. Regret - I believe in spite of what many people say most of us have regrets in life. We accept them and we move on but we regret our behavior or some situation at some point. I did not watch the video.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:15 AM on Jun. 11, 2011