Chronic Constipation?

My daughter has been constipated since she was two weeks old. We have been going around with laxitives, high fiber diet, all of the things you have to try. She still passes large stools and says her bum hurts when she poops. She will say she has a rash and when she poops it feels better. The last few months she has been betterr but still has anal fissures. we still havent gotten the referral for a GI doc. I am so upset we just switched pediatricians not easy to do they dont' want to take new patients here. My daughter now has the urge to poop every time she pees and passes a lot of gas. Is this something I should mention too? thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My 5 1/2 year old son has had this problem since he was 2. He was admitted to the hospital when he was 2 because he had such a huge blockage and it wouldn't pass. They gave him 4 enemas :(

Does she drink milk?

Have you tried just including fruits in her diet? Pears are good for softening things up and they taste good!

I make my son sit on the potty everyday to keep him from holding it in. If I let him go 2 days before going again, he'll scream when he finally does because he says it hurts so much. He actually plugs the toilet all the time because they're so big.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:07 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• my son is like that hes 23 months we use miralax on him it helps keep things regualr and ofcourse when thigns get really bad we use a gliserin (sp) enema at home he hates those but boy do they work they have kids ones they are avible at the local drugsotre here also lots of fruit in his diet and i watch his diary intake he loves diary if i let him he would have milk nad yougart for brakfast but that will constipate him also watch out for chese rice and banans those are horrible at constipating a child
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 11:16 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• We were there too.
    I sweeched from cow milk to goat milk + flax seed oil.
    It is help us a lot.
    Good luck to you and your little one :-)
    laygla

Answer by laygla at 1:26 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Hi my son has also had this problem at times we always increase his fruits and veggies and also we were told to get him to drink lots and lots of water the hydration really helps. But I would still go to the Dr. and see what they say just incase there is another problem. And if you cant get the little one to drink the water they have real fruit popsicles they sell at the store they are really good for them too and the extra fiber never hurts. I hope everything works out for you.
    becbec1973

Answer by becbec1973 at 9:56 PM on Dec. 11, 2008