Should we discourage our 4 yo....

from being a bricklayer?

DH is a mason (bricklayer) with over 33 years experience. He tells Jericho, no don't do that it hard work and yada yada yada.

I say he can do anything he wants as long as

1- It makes him happy

2- He's good at it

and

3- It's legal

DH says I should make himwant to be a doctor, lawyer whatever

I just keep repeating what I said.

So do you think I should discourage this dream?

Jerichos_Mommy

Asked by Jerichos_Mommy at 3:46 AM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He's 4 - he'll change his mind 100 times! And if in the end, he eants to be a mason, that's what he'll become.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 3:50 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• He just wants to be like his daddy thats all, but don't discourage him, it could hurt his fragile ego. Plus he may get the idea he may not be good enough or abkle to work hard like his daddy. My little bro wanted to be a astronaut and I wanted to be a doctor. Tell your DH he most likely eil change his mind a million times before he even 10 on what he wants to be when he grows up. Just remember to support whatever he wants to be so he will his mom and dad has his back.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:55 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I tell DH this all the time but he just won't here it. I will always support my son regardless of DH's opinion.
    Jerichos_Mommy

Comment by Jerichos_Mommy (original poster) at 3:59 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• It's completely natural, appropriate for a child to want to be like Daddy or Mommy and it's a good thing. That's why we need to be good role models. At age 4, it's far more important to let him dream and to make his own choices of what he dreams of doing. He will likely change his mind, as others said, a million times, but he needs to know it's good to look up to his Daddy. Support him and encorage him. If you seriously want to push him to something more academic, fine, but do it by showing an interest in those sorts of things yourselves because he will want to copy your interests.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 4:09 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• He's 4 - let him have whatever dreams he wants.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:08 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I agree with you! At 4 all kids want to do what they see their parents doing. They are modeling what they see. Very normal and should not be criticized. If your DH stops discouraging him the subject will go away. Everyone should be encouraged to do what they have a passion for when they get older. Look for these passions in your son, encourage them, and lead him to a fulfilling career doing them no matter what it turns out to be. But right now is too young to worry about it. And I will take an honest bricklayer any day to some of the arrogant lawyers and doctors I meet!!
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 6:59 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Gosh, I don't know why people have to try and push their children to be something they don't want to be. That leads to such poor self-esteem if they can't cut it and unhappiness if they do. We don't have children to please us, we have children to leave a legacy, leave a part of us behind. Why can't people be happy with what their children choose to do in life as long as it makes them happy and it isn't illegal? There is nothing wrong with hard work. I see people who work hard as having more self-worth. At the end of the day they worked hard for what they have and are so much more appreciative of what they have. Material things is not what makes a person, it's what's inside that counts. The success of your child has nothing to do with what college they go to or what career they end up in, but what kind of person they are to other people.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:11 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Your son is 4 years old for goodness sakes! IMO even as they get older you don't ever push them to do something they will not be happy with. As long as they are healthy and happy and it is legal then they can do whatever they want in my book. At his age all kids mimic their parents and that is what he sees so that is what he wants to do. Now letting him know it is hard work is fine, but telling him not to do it is not good.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:53 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• My DD wants to be a firefighter and wait tables on the side. He will change his mind. Don't ever discourage him
    sadyjo31

Answer by sadyjo31 at 10:47 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I know I try reminding DH that up until I was 10 my life plan was to

1- Be Wonder Woman

2- Marry Muhammad Ali (the boxer) and

3 - Have 100 children
    Jerichos_Mommy

Comment by Jerichos_Mommy (original poster) at 3:08 PM on Jun. 11, 2011