Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Anyone ever been sued for backing out of a bid on a house?

I'll try to make this as short and sweet as possible.
I bid on a house back in April, bid approved but it our side said that this was pending good inspection and apprasial.
Inspection came back w/ several things wrong, they agreed to fix.
Then, appraisal was done and they wanted several other things fixed.
We sent the request for the repairs to be fixed that were on the appraisal, they never responded in writing but said they weren't doing the repairs, over the phone to my agent.
Well, we sent 2 mutal releases over and they did not respond to either.
June 8th comes along and they say all the repairs are done and they're ready to close.
I was under the impression Iwasn't getting the house anymore, but I go look at it again to see if repairs are done and I still loove the house.
Repairs are not completed and the ones that are done are not done correctly.
They say they will be suing me for backing out of deal, do you think they have a leg to stand on? They didn't respond to our last 4 pieces of correspondence at all.


Asked by genagina at 4:33 AM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Home & Garden

Level 22 (14,970 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • Sounds like a scare tactic to me! If they haven't fixed everything that is listed in black and white then" No" I don't think they have a leg to stand on! That's the purpose of home inspections! If you haven't seen papers stating they are suing, I'd say they are bluffing! If you do end up in court , they would be paying all court costs. You can't be forced to buy a house that has issues that were pointed out and would "seal the deal" once fixed! Like I said, I think they're trying to scare you," stick to your guns!"


    Answer by anichols1 at 6:04 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

  • They did not hold up their end of the bargain so I don't really see how they could successfully sue you...but you should probably talk to your mortgage broker?

    Answer by BetcCarter at 5:13 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

  • People can be extremely petty...Our last landlord was so mad that we were moving that he tried to tell us we could not give 30 days notice (it was in the lease that we could...) and then he took our entire security deposit (which we really needed so I scrubbed the entire house from top to bottom and shampooed the carpets) and now he is trying to sue us for $4000 because he thinks we will not fly back to fight him in court...he says it is for the remainder of the lease...i guess he didn't read the lease before he signed it...but I did. Sorry that is my little vent. I think you will be ok if your broker is on your side. I hope everything turns out for you!! I don't know what they hope to gain by suing court can force you to buy a home you haven't signed for...

    Answer by BetcCarter at 5:30 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

  • The worst that could happen is you would lose the escrow money.

    Answer by meooma at 6:04 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

  • The broker was involved today and she said they would fight w/ me til the end to make sure everything gets taken care of. Just never expected all this to happen!

    Comment by genagina (original poster) at 5:20 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

  • Yeah scare tactic for sure, they dont have anything to go on. They are just pissed...F**K em is what I say. Thank god you backed out, now you see the real people you ALMOST bought from. Bad bad energy in that place.

    Answer by MissyNewMama at 8:37 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

  • This happened to my in-laws except they were the sellers & the buyer suddenly backed out (none of the delays you've experienced). They guy was an attorney & was prepared to fight, but my in-laws kept his escrow & both realtors told the buyer he should let that happen. They may have some legal standing if you didn't officially withdraw your bid, but I agree that at most they'd keep your escrow. Good luck! And who knows, maybe you'll buy the house after all.


    Answer by sweetpotato418 at 8:41 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

  • I don't think they have anything to go on. They can try, but I doubt it will get them anywhere except paying court fees and all. Good luck!

    Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:23 AM on Jun. 11, 2011