What does Autisum look like for your child?

Jericho will be 5 in August and has some quirky behaviors. A few times I have wondered if he may be autistic, but I just pass it by because his dr and teachers haven't mentioned it. Besides I have no RL reference.

These include being obssessed by trains. He chuggs throughout the day even in his sleep sometimes. Takes on train names. Greets people with chuffing.

He won't eat any sauces or foods mixed or touching on the plate. This really never bothered because I went through a period in which I needed all my food served on separate plates, even if they would be eaten as a whole, plus a clean plate for the whole. Example a ham and cheese sandwich required 5 plates. But I got over that.

Anyway we went to look at a place for rent yesterday and the owner, who taught 4th grade for 25 years asked if he is Autistic. Now I am really wondering if he could be.

Jerichos_Mommy

Asked by Jerichos_Mommy at 4:42 AM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You should google search autism/signs of autism and then check off which items your son does. If you suspect he could have autism, then I would suggest you ask your doctor for a referral to a developmental pediatrician. Then if he does have autism you could ask if there are any programs available to help, and also ask about parent support groups. Also if he is in school he can have an IEP put in place to help him.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 5:21 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• He has an IEP in place because he receives speech therapy.
    Jerichos_Mommy

Comment by Jerichos_Mommy (original poster) at 5:24 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I would ask your doctor to refer you to a place that does the autism testing just to be sure.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 7:16 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Autism runs in families. The genetic factor is the primary tool for Doctors to diagnose this condition. If you have members in your family suffering from "mental disorders" then your chances of having a child with a mental disorder increases. Conditions such as ADHD, Bipolar Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder are comorbid conditions of Autism. IF YOUR CHILD IS UNABLE TO FUNCTION in the classroom environment with "normal" children then most definitely you should have him tested.
    I have to say though that it has been said through History that pioneers, people who had made strong impact in our society were individuals with strange obsessions.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 8:07 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Cont...
    The Teacher perhaps was referring your child as having Autism because students with natural talents tend to be quick labeled as High Functioning Autistics.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 8:11 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• If you have any concers about your son being autistic, have him checked out.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 12:04 PM on Jun. 11, 2011