If your sister had ovarian cancer and didn't tell you, would you be upset??

My sister and i are not particularly close, but i was informed recently by Family member she has severe cancer, been having chemo and surgeries and she didn't tell me.... She only 22, so was shocked.but would u be upset. I still am.

06Lilraysmom

Asked by 06Lilraysmom at 5:00 AM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Health

• If it was MY sister...yes. But we are very very close and we talk everyday. In your case, I would still be upset that she did not tell me but if you are not that close maybe she just wasn't ready to talk to you about it? Sometimes people are very private about illness and treatments. Did she tell everyone except you? Or did she tell a few people she is close to and then they kind of spread the word. Personally, if I had cancer I would tell my sister first(bc she is my best friend not bc she is my sister), then I would tell my mom and then let the two of them talk to the rest of the family. I don't think I would have the energy to discuss it with the entire family. I have been very sick in the past (luckily my brain tumor was benign) and talking about it is draining. Even though your feelings are totally valid...try not to take it personally:) I hope her treatment goes well and she is able to recover.

BetcCarter

Answer by BetcCarter at 5:08 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• my sister and i are not very close. we get along, but can go months without speaking. i don't think i'd be upset if she didn't tell me. i think i would probably not tell her. there are a lot of things i don't think i ever will tell her. we just don't share like that.
    LunaB

Answer by LunaB at 5:15 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• nop i'll try to find the reason ! cause im her sister too ;) if she's alreday suffering i cant blame anything from her she needs my support whatever she'll do
    caramelH

Answer by caramelH at 5:54 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• No I wouldn't be upset that she didn't tell me. She has a right to keep her life and health private.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:00 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• yes i would be upset. not necessarily upset at her but upset that she is ill.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 6:14 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I would be upset about the cancer not that she did not tell me. It is not about you.
    Why when this horrible thing is going on in her life are you thinking of yourself?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:06 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I am upset that although we are not close that she told alot of other people who she isn't close to at all, and the fact im a caregiver, so i should be the one looking after her,and rather than someone who doesn't necessarily give her care she deserves. I just kinda hoped it would bring us closer, but if anything pushed us apart further. Im not making it about me, and i get that she's allowed to have her life private.
    06Lilraysmom

Comment by 06Lilraysmom (original poster) at 6:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I would be most upset because if she is only 22 yrs old and dealing with ovarian Cancer, this is BAD NEWS and could potentially indicate a familial risk for ovarian or breast cancer in your family. Be sure to tell your doc about this sister's situation and see if there is special testing you should have done to screen for it.
    klickitykat

Answer by klickitykat at 1:16 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• While this "isn't about you" as the pps said, you are potentially also at risk in this case (22 is VERY young for this to happen). While it is sad that you two are so distant and she didn't feel able to tell you, I would encourage you to look past that. Think of what she must be going through, get over any "drama" you two have had in the past and love her for the time she's got left. This is a very serious diagnosis and in general, ovarian cancer doesn't have a good outcome, so I hope you two can spend quality time together. I hope you can be helpful and loving to her and you can help her get through this (and talk to your own doc about your own risks). Best of luck to you both.
    klickitykat

Answer by klickitykat at 1:19 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I've tried ringing and texting but never get response. I just guess she dont want me involved and healing the past is not important to her.it'll just be something she can blame me for later down the track
    06Lilraysmom

Comment by 06Lilraysmom (original poster) at 2:50 AM on Jun. 12, 2011