Is 18 years old too old?

My hubby and I have this little debate going.. I think 18 years old is too old to still ground, but he thinks its ok. what do you all think? :D

wifeNmom76

Asked by wifeNmom76 at 5:06 AM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• I probably wouldn't use the word "ground" but just remind him that in life, there are consequences for everything. If he behaves in a way that you don't like, I'd withdraw your help or some form of support or privilege. I used to say to my kids when they asked for something, "just not feeling it today" and they got the message.
    home12

Answer by home12 at 10:09 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Hm, well, if they are still under your roof you can do whatever you see fit! I think, if my child still lives with me at 18, and I pay for everything, I would take phone/computer away. Maybe car, if you are paying for it. I guess it depends on what they do. But yeah, that is probably a really old school way of thinking but I am pretty conservative in my parenting.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 5:10 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• We have two 21 year old sons and a 19 year old daughter living at home. Both the 21 year olds have lived on their own and have recently moved back in. They havent done anything that warranted grounding and maybe its because, having been on their own, they dont do stupid things that make grounding necessary BUT our 19 year old is a different story. She hasnt ever been on her own and we just got done grounding her a few weeks ago. She lives under our roof, we feed, clothe and take care of her since she is still in school so you are darn right we ground her when needed. She is usually pretty good but when she forgets how to be an adult, nothing reels her back in like a few days of not being in charge of her own comings and goings.
    rosepetal209

Answer by rosepetal209 at 5:22 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Yes, 18 is to old for grounding, but I reserve the right to kick their 18 year old butt's out the door if they become difficult to live with.
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 5:34 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I have to say...when I was 18 I would have laughed my head off if my parents tried to ground me. I got my first job when I was 15 and worked all through high school and then moved out when I was 18 to be a live in nanny..so i guess I was not really the kind of kid that would have needed grounding at 18, or 16, or even 14...If you have an 18 year old and your best way of dealing with them is to ground them it seems like something is off there. At 18 you should be able to handle yourself and your parents should be able to give you advice in a way that is respectful to you. An you should be able to accept it with respect. Even if you live at home, 18 is an adult. That doesn't mean there shouldn't be expectations of course.
    BetcCarter

Answer by BetcCarter at 5:39 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• 18 year olds are adults.  Nuff said!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:56 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• If they still live under your roof. The punishment shld fit the crime.
    Example, keep car out way past curfew on purpose...no car for a time. If car belongs to parents.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 5:42 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Hopefully at 18 they are mature enough that this isn't even a thought anymore! I know when I was 18 I had moved out and living with my SO. I was still going to school and working full time too. If my mother had tried to ground me I would have laughed in her face.
    I know each person matures differently and I feel if your child is living with you and making a nuisance of him/herself then you have a right to do something. Just not sure if "grounding" is that right something. If it hasn't made them grow up by now, its probably not going to now that they are legally an adult.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:47 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• It depends. It's not a matter of putting them in thier rooms and not letting them play with their friends you know? If they abuse phone use, then obviously they're not allowed to use your phone anymore or for a while, until they can earn your trust back. If they take your car without asking, then obviously they don't get to use it anymore. It's really about their choices and what your going to put up with.
    Your house your rules. Just as someone that came to live with you would have it the same. You may not like what they are doing but you choose how much you put up with and what your rules are for your home.
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 7:33 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• If they are living it your house.. why the hell not? When I was 18 my grounding was my mom wouldn't let me use the car
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 8:06 AM on Jun. 11, 2011