How do you cope?

My baby girl has been fighting a fever all day. We've given her a bath, keep giving her liquids and called the doc. She says that we've done every thing right and to call again tomorrow if she still has the fever. My baby just keeps moaning, wimpering and crying. I feel so bad for her and just want her all better! How do you cope when your little one doesn't feel good?

Tommyskitty

Asked by Tommyskitty at 6:07 AM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Rock her, sing to her, don't leave her side.
    GrammytoTrin

Answer by GrammytoTrin at 6:10 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Motrin works much better than Tylenol. Doctors always recommend Tylenol until I got to one at a Navy Base who said Motrin and it made a world of difference. Cool baths will help the fever. Question is, why does the baby have a fever? A fever is the bodies way of fighting off an illness. What concerns me is the moaning. That is telling me that the baby is in some sort of pain.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 8:59 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Not sure how much she weighs or how many months she is but she should be able to take childrens Tylenol drops! I have a chart for measurments.I used this chart for both of my kids that was provided by my kidsdoctor, it's an actual tylenol chart.

0-3 mo's 0.4 ml 5-11 lbs.
    4-11 mo's 0.8 ml 12-17 lbs.
    12 -23 mo's 1.2 ml 16- 23 lbs.

That's what I'd give her,. The back of medicine bottles don't have a chart on them for this age group anymore but these are the correct measurements.
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 7:40 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I gave my DD infant ibprofen and put cool rags on her head ... and stayed with her the whole time and my 7yr old SDD kept her happy by talking to her.. singing to her.. and making her laugh :)

good luck...hope she feels better soon !!
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 8:21 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Try some tylenol and lots of cuddles. It's hard when they don't feel good and you can't do anything to help.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 8:54 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Thank you, everyone for your comments! Yes, we've been giving her Tylenol. Sorry I forgot to mention that part!

She was fine yesterday morning, but after she woke up from her noon nap, she started getting fussy, refused to eat and wouldn't take the bottle, When we checked her temp, it was 101.8. We think the fever is due to teething. I can feel at least four trying to pop out - none have yet to appear and she just turned 7 months old on the 8th. last time we checked, she weighed 16lbs and 4oz, so we're guessing she's about 17lbs by now.

We'll be calling the doc again today - the fever is back up again to 101.5.

I wish she felt better, I feel so bad for my baby.
    Tommyskitty

Comment by Tommyskitty (original poster) at 10:19 AM on Jun. 11, 2011