I want my bed back!

I want both my children outta my bed I have a 4yr old and a soon to be 3yr old who i started cosleeping with because my husband works 3rd shift i figured whats the harm since i only get to sleep with my husband 3 times out of the week.well enough is enough.ive tried after they fall asleep putting them in the next room on twin beds ,but usually through the night they come back in one after the other.please someone help me with some ideas I could try

ALLSPORTMOM

Asked by ALLSPORTMOM at 7:28 AM on Jun. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• They are old enough to be told that they need to stay in their own beds. Get them bed sets of their choice and tell them that from now on they must go to sleep in their own beds. Make a big deal about how big they are and how proud you are of them. If they do come back to your room, you must consistently return them to their beds. It may take a week. but it will be worth it. And it is for them and their own good.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:35 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I would not let them fall asleep in your bed to start..I would explain to them that they have their own beds and we are going to start sleeping in them. Then I would set up the roninue whatever it is going to be. If they get up put them back in their beds, if they cry and give you a hard time be understanding and don't yell, just remind them that they are now sleeping in their own beds. It might take a few nights to get them to realize that you are serious and they have to stay in their beds. Don't give up because if you do then it will take longer. I agree that being consistent through the whole process is important.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:12 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Eeek...yeah I have noooo idea. I have yet to have my baby...man I am going to learn ALOT from this site. Thats for sure.
    MissyNewMama

Answer by MissyNewMama at 8:17 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Slowly transition them- let them sleep on the floor next to your bed, then in the hall if you have one, then on the floor next to their beds and then in their beds. I heard that works...
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:22 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• i agree with the first 2 posters...consistancy is the key. thank God i refused to co-sleep...i knew it'd be best for the future, keeping my own bed and all. well with the exception of sharing it with hubby lol. but even when he was deployed for a year, unless the kids were really sick, they stayed in their own bed.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:25 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• We coslept by choice and each child had their own bed that was pushed up against ours so they always had their own space. When we decided it was time for them to be in their own room we slowly transitioned them by taking the beds they already were sleeping in and moving them away from our bed but still in our room. After a few weeks of that we moved them to the other room sharing a full size bed and either DH or I would sit with them in that bed as they fell asleep and if they did come into our room their twin beds were still there away from our beds. We did that for a few weeks and then we took their twin beds out of our rooms and in the attic. We eventually stopped sitting with them in their full size bed to fall asleep and they sleep in the full size bed together all night just fine now. It takes some time to do it gently, but IMO it is worth it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• when my son was a baby we co slept because it was warmer in our bed and i wanted him to be close at all times. when we put him in his own bed around 3 months he was still in our room because we had no where else to put him. when we finally moved he got his own room but didn't want to sleep in there at all. i got in to a routine by giving him a bath, putting him in pjs, reading a book or 2, and then putting him in bed with his lovey. if he got up i would put him back in bed with his lovey and tell him it was night-night time and i would see him in the morning. the first night i had to do this for about 15 times once i finally got to sleep he tried to get in to bed with me while i was asleep but his door makes noise when it opens so i was able to get up and put him in to bed again the same as before. the main thing was he wanted to see me when he woke up so i told him when to sun comes up he may come and cuddle.
    Jory

Answer by Jory at 10:28 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• You have to be consistent. Put them in their beds at night and do not no matter how much they scream holler cry let them let them in your bed. The first couple of nights will be hell but don't give in. Just go in every 20 minutes or so tell them you love them, kiss them and say good night and walk out. If they come in your bed later take them back to theirs. If you cave even one time.....you will never be successful
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:12 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I agree with slowly transitioning them to their own beds. It may take a while, but it does work.

My hubby was away for the military for 9 months, and my ds and dd pretty much alternated nights in bed with me. Now he's been home for almost 2 months and I have pretty much gotten both kids to sleep in their own beds every night.
    kmqw229

Answer by kmqw229 at 11:04 PM on Jun. 11, 2011