Ear Infections

My son just got done with antibiotics and I am pretty sure already has another ear infection, I am taking him in tomorrow. Any ways this is like the 5th or 6th time this has happened. He gets off the antibiotics and right away gets another ear infection, the doctor said oh just some kids are prone to them. We have tried different antibiotics . He just turned one, and has been breast-fed his whole life. My Daughter is 6 and has never had an ear infection. Do you think I should get a second opinion as of what other options I have ??

momma-meg

Asked by momma-meg at 9:20 AM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Continuous doses of antibiotics will only make things worse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• We had a problem with Chronic Ear Infections when my little boy was 7 months old. He had 11 ear infections from February to May. I finally demanded a referral to an Ear, Nose, and Throat specialist and he took one look at my little boys ears and scheduled to have tubes put in the next week. He said some kids canals are not wide enough to let the fluid escape so it just sets there and thats what causes infections. Most insurance require a referral to a specialist if you want them to pay for it. I would recommend asking your doctor for a referral. If he won't give it to you find a doctor that will. Since having tubes put in in May he has not had 1 ear infection and is a much happier little boy. You can message me if you have any other questions.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 9:29 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I agree with PP...go to an ENT...does sound to me (not a professional) that he may need tubes...my neice was much like your son, but once the tubes were in, no more infections...and eventually they will just fall out. Good Luck!!!
    KEHMom

Answer by KEHMom at 10:01 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• My son had the same problem we went to see a ent and he had tubes put in and he has not a had one since then and it has been a little over a year so I would suggest you go see a ENT
    lglorioso

Answer by lglorioso at 11:14 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Get a second opinion. My dd was referred to an ENT for tubes since she had fuild on her ears for months at a time after each ear infection. At least get a speciallist to look at him to make sure there isn't any damage to the ears b/c of the frequent ear infections. My dd also got ... I forget the term but the wouldn't go away with just one type of antibiotic, so we had to have another does.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 11:30 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I would get a 2nd opinion. My husband had chronic ear infections when he was little, just like your little one, and he ended up having to have tubes put in his ears. I hope that's not the case, but I bet it may be. I also have to add that I believe that just because a child is breast fed doesn't mean he's not going to get sick as often. I have formula fed both of my children and my son never got sick until he got a cold around the age of 2 and my daughter has been perfectly healthy! My brother and I were both bottle fed and we are doing great and hardly ever sick as children either.
    TylersMama05

Answer by TylersMama05 at 11:50 AM on Dec. 11, 2008