Breast feed or bottle?

I've got about 6 or 7 months to decide, give me some feedback paaaleeasse :)

MissyNewMama

Asked by MissyNewMama at 8:30 AM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Be warned: there are some people out there (mostly HERE) who are really RABID in their opinions about this. The rabid breastfeeders will refer to formula as poison, and suggest that you're damning your child to a lifetime of problems if you choose not to breastfeed. The rabid anti-breastfeeders will call it disgusting and wrong to use your breasts for what nature designed them to do. Take all extreme opinions with a grain of salt. Somewhere in the middle you'll find the truth.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:01 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• IMHO if you are unsure which way you want to go then you should go ahead and give breast feeding a try. It is easy to change your mind from BF to FF but *very tricky* the other way around. The fisrt 2-3 months of BF can be difficult for some moms and babies so just know that there are people who are trained to help you, then if you decide it isn't working... bottle feed. NO big deal.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:54 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I formula fed my first two and am breastfeeding my third.

Definitely go with breastfeeding.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 8:37 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I bottle fed. And haven't had the "side effects" you always hear about with kids. My son is one of if not the healthiest kid I know! In his 4 years he has only been sick (more then a cold) less then a handful of times. I was bottle fed as were all my siblings and we are all healthy and happy. But it is something you have to decide for you! And do not let anyone pressure you, either way!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 8:39 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I've always at least started with breastfeeding even just a month or 2 is better than none. It also sounds like your gonna have a winter baby. Winter is when babies get sick the most and giving your child breastmilk that is loaded with antibodies (that you already make) that are not in formula can be a great way to get past that first winter without illness.
    CrazyMommy87

Answer by CrazyMommy87 at 8:43 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Breast is best
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 8:45 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• breastfeeding is natural, the way it was supposed to be, so obviously breastfeeding is best for the baby. especially the colostrum. it helps them create an immunity and boost it.

but don't let anyone make you feel bad if you go with formula. i breastfed both my kids as much as i could the first 3 months, supplementing with formula, before going fully on formula. if you can at least do the first few months, that would be good. it's the colostrum that's the best part, you want your baby to at least have that :)

you will ultimately make your decision when your baby comes. the less complications during dilivery, the better chance you have at breastfeeding her right away. some women can't take it, it hurts too much or some don't supply enough. some babies are allergic.

if you go with bottle, do some digging and decide which formula you want. honestly, i wouldn't go with anything but Enfamil Lipil. GL!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:55 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• SWasson is completely right
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:06 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• breastfeed all the way, do i really need to explain why? They just found out that formula has a connection to diabetes.

Of course, if you cannot breastfeed....then you have to use formula. But, if you can breastfeed...of course it's better for the mother & child for many-many reasons.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:32 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I started out breastfeeding with my son, and am going to breastfeed my daughter when she arrives in August :) You are doing right by starting your research early. I wish somebody had told me that not a single nurse in the hospital we delivered at had ever breastfed and to take their advice with a grain of salt, since it was advice from a book and not from experience. If you can talk to a lactation consultant right away, it is your best bet. We went two days in the hospital trying and failing and feeling very discouraged, and started to think about quitting and just going the easier bottle feeding way. We went to a lactation consultant as a last ditch effort to breastfeed and she told us that everything we had been told by the nurses was either incomplete information or totally wrong. We did what she said and everything went amazing after it. Good luck!! P.S. Get the nipple cream before going to the hospital and dont forget it!
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 8:45 AM on Jun. 11, 2011