Big Dog Little Dog.. Need Help

I have a mix of pitbull, boxer, and mastiff. He has been fine with people and hasn't ever hurt anyone.. the issue is he is aggresive only twards certan dogs. When I had him at my moms one day he decided he didn't like my moms dog and beat him not really bad but bad enough that he wouldn't let go of his neck this was about a year and a half ago. Then my mother in laws dog got hurt and he was out side when she did and he got her by the neck also and wouldn't let go they had to litterally pull him off of her. He just caught a squrrel and killed it and caught a cat in the back yard and had it by its stomach.

IzabellasMom210

Asked by IzabellasMom210 at 9:29 AM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Pets

• Not enought room ...... Ok the reason i am saying all this is because my fiance has gotten me a yorkie puppy for christmas and I don't kno how this dog will react and i am very scared my puppy is less than a pound, but my fiance for some reason thinks that he will be fine with her. Does anyone have ideas how to introduce them without any major events! Any help would be wonderful
    IzabellasMom210

Answer by IzabellasMom210 at 9:29 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Go to Cesar Millan's web site and see if there is anything there on aggressive dogs. He has excellent written material--not sure about his DVD. If you can't find anything there, try to find a good trainer to ask how to introduce the dogs or stop the aggression.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Get rid of the damn dog before he attacks a person. Why do people keep agressive dogs? Watch him around your children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I have been trying to get rid of him for 2 years now and have even told my fiance we will leave if he doesn't but he feels like he is doing good by keeping him because it is his damn brothers and his brother isn't responsable enough to keep itfrustrated

IzabellasMom210

Answer by IzabellasMom210 at 10:01 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I have 3 dogs and one of them is a yorkie-poo who is 8 lbs.. There is no one way in God's green earth that you should have a 1 lb. yorkie around this bigger dog...especially if he's known to attack other animals & even kill a squirrel. It's just dangerous...PERIOD!!! What's your bf going to do when the dog turns on one of you????
    cacutie

Answer by cacutie at 10:08 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I know I have been trying to tell him and he swears up and down that it will never happen.. I think just to be safe becuase i know no other way.. I will tell him when he is at work that the dog went after my puppy then he will be forced to do somthing.. I am not only worried about the puppy but my kids also!

IzabellasMom210

Answer by IzabellasMom210 at 10:15 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• What's it going to take? What excuse will your boyfriend have when the damm dog kills one of your kids? "He was just playing with the kid?" or "It was just a kid, no big deal?" Get this dog put down for your safety, the safety of your children and the safety of everyone in the community. Also what will you do after the dog kills some old lady walking down the street and your boyfriend is in jail?
    Anonymous

• sometimes you can't take the aggression out of the dog even with training and by what you have stated it sounds like it's to late for this to happen. this dog is just to ingrained with the behavior and his own personal characteristics traits. i wouldn't risk this and he should respect that. it's either the kids safety or the dog is what i would give him. also you have a big liability here. your mom could of sued you or the people's who cat was killed. also watch out for rabies from the squirrel. your fiance is wrong thinking that this dog won't kill it or harm it. aside from that this dog is to much of a liability and if your home owners insurance knew about all these incidents they would drop your coverage. just get rid of the dog one day and say he got out and you were unable to catch it. oops.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:16 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Hello - you must love your dog very much.  Evil humans masterminded the personalities of the current pitbulls.  No animal is mean by nature.  Only humans.  I can understand your concern as he is aggressive.  I would first seek the help of an animal behaviourist or watch the dog whisperer (I think is his name).  All life is valuable.  However, you probably have more than you can control.  If you get a gentle leader and walk the dog and train him well, he may be less aggressive.  My sister had a pit bull mix and she just protected him and watched him and walked him a lot every day and loved him dearly.  He just died.  Please, seek professional advice so it does not get out of hand.  Remember too, that there are no bad dogs, just bad breeders.  I wish you the very best.  Jan

freespirit44

Answer by freespirit44 at 4:43 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• The dog has a prey drive, and that can't be changed. I have a pit who started catching and killing mice and other small animals over the summer. As much as I would like to have another little dog, its just not worth the risk. At the same time, if you're afraid for your kids' safety, that get the dog out of there! If I had to chose between my child or my pets, I would chose my child, and no amount of reassurance that "it won't happen" wopuld change my mind.
    AmyC1215

Answer by AmyC1215 at 8:37 AM on Dec. 12, 2008