Coffee and breast feeding?

When I was breast feeding my oldest, I didn't drink coffee, but four years later, I'm pretty much in desperate need of it with two kids and so much going on and four hours of sleep a night. I remember my pedi telling me that alcohol wears off, and if you don't feel the effects that it's okay to feed that milk instead of dump it, but is caffiene the same way? I don't want to waste milk, I don't want to be so tired I feel like an unfit parent. Anyway, I'm looking but can't find anything concrete that I trust. Have any of you faced this dilemma or had a chance to ask the pedi?

dayziesnrozes

Asked by dayziesnrozes at 9:55 AM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• honestly all this stigma on coffee being bad for the baby i think its a bunch of bs and heres why. i have been drinking coffee for forever. literally my grandmother used to put it in my bottle when i was a baby. the only health problem i had/have is asthma and the coffee actually helps with that. all of my 6 brothers and sisters had coffee in their bottles as well and none of them have or have had any medical problems. today in fact most of us dont even drink coffee at al, not me i love the stuff. in addition i drank coffee while i was pregnant and breastfeeding with both of my kids and they are healthy as horses and, i know that all parents say this but even strangers say it to me, extremely smart. drinking coffee isnt going to hurt your baby. simple as that.
    2breath2live

Answer by 2breath2live at 10:09 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I was told by a lactation consultant its fine.. they don't get enough for it to even affect them. I drink a cup every morning.
    Emmajosmommy

Answer by Emmajosmommy at 9:58 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• A small cup of coffee a day is not going to harm the baby. Now some babies react to it different then others. With my first I could drink as much caffeine as I wanted with no issues from him, but with my second a drop of caffeine made her irritable and cranky. I would suggest Vit B supplements to help with the tiredness though instead of caffeine. My doc said it is not like alcohol though as it goes into the milk and stays there where as alcohol leaves the milk just like it leaves the blood stream. I have never seen any studies showing that, but that is what my doc said.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:58 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• With my first two I drank tea, which actually has more caffeine than coffee. I started drinking coffee after my son was born. I had a daughter after that. I drink coffee from sunup to sundown. There was never a problem. My children don't get sick and I never had one with ADD/ADHD.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:02 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• As far as the alcohol goes, I've seen studies that said the same. I drank inbetween feedings with my oldest sometimes and she never was effected, granted I would never drink more than just a beer or two (or glass of wine).
    I have only been drinking one or two cups of coffee each morning, which isn't really a full cup 'cause I put 3/4 cup coffee and full with milk or cream. :) But I need more. I'm still taking my pre=natal vitamins, so I'm not sure if adding another vitamin supplement would be a good idea on my kidneys or make me OD on one or another vitamin.
    dayziesnrozes

Comment by dayziesnrozes (original poster) at 10:05 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Like my pediatrician told me you have to live realistically. She said a cup of coffee is fine just don't drink it all day long.
    Naplesmommy03

Answer by Naplesmommy03 at 10:05 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• i drank coffee the whole time i was breastfeeding & it never had any affect on my daughter. My lactation lady said it was fine as long as i am not drinking over 2 cups in a row.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:37 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• The lactation consultant at the hospital told me it was ok to drink a cup of coffee in the morning. So, I've been have a big cup (or 2) every morning. Yeah, w/my 1st, I didn't drink any caffeine, but now that I have 2, I must have it! I've noticed it doesn't affect my new baby when I drink it. I was tired yesterday, I even had to make another cup about 4:00.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 10:41 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I was told by every doc I asked that a cup of coffee won't kill anyone - baby or otherwise. I would drink a cup very day when I was working night shift. No problems with either of my two.
    chrys45

Answer by chrys45 at 10:42 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• With caffeine, it's basically trial and error. Have your coffee, and see if you notice any adverse effects on baby. If not, continue on. If baby seems to react to it, stop. Neither of my children were affected by it. Alcohol is different, if you're under the legal driving limit, you can safely nurse. My rule that I followed with alcohol was 1-2 drinks, nurse as needed, and any more then that, wait 2-3 hrs per drink before nursing again. Pump only if you need to for engorgement or to make up a missed feeding.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:55 PM on Jun. 12, 2011