Is it normal for identical twins to be slighlty different in size and weight?

mackenzie23143

Asked by mackenzie23143 at 10:01 AM on Jun. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• My identical twin nieces are about an inch (or maybe a little less) different in height...I've never really thoguht about it tho, lol
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 10:04 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• i have two month old baby girls and i have to write thier names on their diapers for my husband but i can tell which is which one is about two inches bigger then the other and weighs more also
    mackenzie23143

Comment by mackenzie23143 (original poster) at 10:07 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Yes, typically there is one that is bigger and one that is smaller. Not always, but most of the time. I have twin nephews, and at birth one was bigger by 1lbs 7oz and by and inch and a half!!!! Every baby is different, regardless if they are twins or not... As long as both are healthy, I wouldn't worry. :)
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 10:11 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• yes the weight and height have nothing to do with them being identical. they can also have different brain activity such as one may have special needs and one may be a genius. the only thing that would be the same is there looks. when the egg splits they have the same dna but because now they are different people so they will develop differently.
    Jory

Answer by Jory at 10:14 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Very normal.
    Anonymous

• My identical twin girls are an inch off in height and about 5 pounds in weight, always have been. My grandma is an identical twin and her twin sister is shorter than her by a bit as well.
    Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 3:15 PM on Jun. 11, 2011