Do you have to have new stuff for your LO or do you shop at consignment shops,thrift stores,yard sales or get hand me downs?

got this outfit .. at the thrift store.. i made her headband though :)

I love a bargain.. All the stuff I have for my DD is used. and I am okay with that. :)

Emmajosmommy

Asked by Emmajosmommy at 10:26 AM on Jun. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• Oh your little one is a cutie pie! I like the outfit and little headband.
    My boys are 14, 12 and 5. My boys do get a few new items each year from the department store (target, kmart, walmart), and sometimes i will find a few nice things from yard sales or resale stores as well. My middle gets a lot of hand-me-downs from older brother- and then when he outgrows the clothes I put them out to yard sale or donate to good will. I don't have the space to store his outgrown stuff for years till the little one is into it. Most of the little one's clothes come from a yard sale. My mom's neighbor has a son just older than mine, and she buys him the expensive brand name clothes-- and they are in immaculate condition when her son is done with them. So I get a great deal, name brand hardly worn clothes at a fraction of the cost. When he out grows the clothes i yard sale or good will them.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:39 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• i do both. I get her nice stuff brand new, but i always go to the thrift stores & rack up on t-shits & jeans and stuff like that. They have cool clothes at thrift stores. My DD loves the fact that she can buy stuff that no on else in her school wears. We always find neat clothes at the thrift store...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:28 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I think everything we had for my son was mostly used...and I still look at consignment shops, yard sales ect for his clothes :)
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 10:27 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• All of the above!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I like to get my dd's new things but if I see a good deal on something used or someone gives me things (clothes etc) I will buy the used item or take the used clothing or whatever, I love bargains . I just love hand me downs :)
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 10:34 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I love bargains too!! I mean you can find some great stuff at thrift stores and yes they're used but it's called a washer if you're that worried about germs (I always wash new to us things and new things anyways)...lol!
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 10:35 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I figure, why should I buy new stuff when someone else out there will? I'll buy it in 3 months when they drop it off at a thrift sale or have a garage sale. I love a good deal!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:42 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• All New. I used to do hand me downs but really dont anymore. My mil is weird about used things and I am now weird about it too. Clothes particular I dont like buying used. And most toys I can afford to get new and prefer having the full warranty in case they break. On top of it I do hand them down to my grandkids.

Answer by gemgem at 10:29 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Typically they get all new. Sure something's might have been "used" but most are new. I'm not big on stores like good will or once upon a child... And we have the oldest boy in our family, and the closest girl in our family is 3 hrs away... So not a lot of hand-me-downs....
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 10:31 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Thrift shops as often as possible, hand me downs are great as well, new only when there's no other option or for special occasions.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:35 AM on Jun. 11, 2011