That darn cat!!!

So, 3 mornings ago I woke up, went to put the dishes away, and smelled cat pee!!! So I tossed the dishes back in the sink, and smelled the towel to find out one of our cats peed on it!!! The litter box is clean, and both cats could get to it. Woke up yesterday morning to smell pee by the sink again!!! So last night I made sure all the dishes were put away and the towel was in the laundry room. This morning I went to get dhs work shoes out of the closet and the cat had peed in our coat closet!!! I have been assuming it was our newer cat Dorito that we have only had 2 months or so ( she is about 4) well, just a few minutes ago, I was in picking up the bathroom and our 1year old cat came in and peed on a towel I had tossed on the floor!!! I am baffled! She has been in our home almost a year, and we have never had this problem. The peeing has recently started, like 3-4 days... Is she trying to mark her territory?? Anything I can do to get her to stop peeing on random things?

BabyBugsmama

Asked by BabyBugsmama at 10:45 AM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Pets

• Litter boxes are considered territorial places for cats. If you only have one, you need to get another one. It's very common that one cat claims the litter box & lets the other know that it's not theirs to use anymore.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:48 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Probably a urinary tract infection.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 10:49 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• your younger cat may be more alpha than your older cat...just because a cat is older does not mean it has alpha tendencies.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:50 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• It could be a lot of things. Are the cat neutered ? Sometimes even females that are not spayed will spray or mark. In the meantime, you can clear the pee areas and stains with bleach water ( 1 part bleach to 4 parts water ). Just make sure that you use it only on hard surfaces. It could ruin carpet that is not colorfast. ALSO, the urine is acid---bleach is alkalai so the two mixed will give off fumes and heat. Still, they neutralize each other and so the odor and stain is removed. MAKE SURE TO KEEP AWAY CHILDREN & PETS FROM THE STAINS WHILE YOU ARE TREATING THEM & WEAR RUBBER GLOVES !

You might also consider getting a book on cat behavior problems from the library. Good luck !
    IndigoRose

Answer by IndigoRose at 11:12 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Before you do anything else, she needs to be checked for a UTI. If that isn't the problem, add a second litter box ~ or two. Some cats hate to share. Since this just started, I'd be expecting a positive urinalysis. When it hurts to go in the litter box cats tend to try going somewhere else to avoid the pain ~ and while it's a 'pain' for you, at least you know they need a vet check at that point.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:04 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• 1. Have the cat checked for a UTI.

2. Get a second litter box.

3. Clean the stains with plain white vinegar to get out the smell. For the stain itself, I recommend LA's Totally Awesome spray. I get it at Dollar General.

4. If #1 or #2 don't work, try this: Feliway

Vix920

Answer by Vix920 at 11:13 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I agree with the first poster about getting a second litter box; we have 2 cats and have 2 litter boxes also; and as the others have said I would have her checked for a UTI
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:12 PM on Jun. 15, 2011

• Could be a physical issue, cats urinate on different surfaces when it hurts to go because they associate the pain with the litter box
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 1:44 PM on Jun. 22, 2011