How do you stop a baby from gagging herself with her fingers

shes will be one on the 25th of this month and she will stick her fingers down her throat if i take her fingers out of her mouth and tell her not to do that she laughs at me and puts her fingers back in until she throws-up she has done this multiple times does anyone have any ideas how to stop her from using her fingers to gag herself

fearthis97

Asked by fearthis97 at 11:07 AM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That is a stage some kids go through. Disconcerting as it is, don't worry too much about it. She'll lose interest.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:08 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I hope so her doctor told me the same thing it just scares me when she throws-up
    fearthis97

Comment by fearthis97 (original poster) at 11:15 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• shes fine.. a lot of kids do that.. i use to take my kids fingers out of their mouth and tell them to stop that. they didnt do it as much as some kids. but its normal :)
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 11:17 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• put socks or thick mittenson the ones that are kids friendly ,the child can't take them off ,try it see if it works
    sizegirl

Answer by sizegirl at 11:20 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Ignore her when she does it, as hard as that may sound. Kids do silly things to get our attention but when they stop getting a reaction from us it's just not nearly as fun anymore.
    PTmomma3

Answer by PTmomma3 at 11:23 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• thank you for the advise everyone I'll try ignoring her if that doesn't work I'll try using mittens
    fearthis97

Comment by fearthis97 (original poster) at 12:59 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• My soon to be one year old loves to put her fingers in her mouth too. I put socks on both hands. It's keeps her from doing it a couple hours but I know she won't stop completely until she is good and ready.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 1:55 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• LOL! I agree with PTmomma3. My DD did the same thing. I just ignored her and tried not to give any attention to it. She quit.
    llomeli

Answer by llomeli at 10:36 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• She doesn't care about the throw up, only your reaction! Don't do anything! Don't look or make eye contact. The behavior has power now and it you take away the power by ignoring her, the behavior will stop. If she throws up, clean it up, don't talk or make eye contact while doing it. It will work! I've worked with many children who do the same thing!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 7:11 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I distract my daughter by giving her something to keep her something to keep her hands busy.
    Tracee F.

Answer by Tracee F. at 9:56 AM on Jun. 13, 2011