How can i get my child to leave the park ,without her making a scene and screaming?

every time i take my daughter to the park ,she screams and makes a scene (,she is 8yrs ),;i try and stay as long as i can ,but i feel so tried sometimes after 2hrs i want to go ,i will tell her she has 5minutes ,and the tantrums starts and everyone is looking at me , because i am pushing her out of the park ;what do i do? how to make this work for her and me with out the screams

sizegirl

Asked by sizegirl at 11:08 AM on Jun. 11, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i will welcome any helpful advice for any mom ,i am willing to try any thing
    sizegirl

Comment by sizegirl (original poster) at 11:10 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I would tell her before you even go to the park what is going to happen. Give her a time limit. Tell her you are taking her to the park and you will stay for "X" amount of time. You will give her the 10 minute warning and she will not cry or whine. If she does, then you will not bring her back to the park for "X" amount of days/weeks/whatever amount of time is reasonable. Stick to your guns. She will test you.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:14 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I have a few suggestions: first, don't stay two hours at the park, she's probably really physically tired by then, and it makes it worse. second, set a limit before you get there (ex: "we're staying for 45 minutes, then it will be time to go.") Third, let her know that if she has a tantrum when it's time to leave, then she will not be going back to the park for some period of time you can live with (one week, two weeks.) Follow through if you have to. If she doesn't believe that there will be consequences, she will continue.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:14 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• My 5yo will sometimes do that now and has in the past. What worked for her was that before I let her out of the car to go play, I would tell her that her reaction when we leave will determine how long it takes for us to come to the park again. I'll do the "you have 5 minutes" thing too. Then when it's finally time to go, she usually does start to fuss and then I'll just ask her "Are you sure you want this to be your reaction?" She'll say "no" and then we're good.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:15 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Ok, my boy did that when he was 3 but now he knows better at 5. Your daughter is TOO OLD to be throwing tantrums! If she can't be a big girl, she can't go to the park. Period.
    Scedule the days you go in advance. Mabe put 3 or 4 on the calendar so she can see them. Let her know very clearly that if she throws a tantrum, she can't go the next time you planned to. Draw a big X through it so she understands.
    Is it only at the park or does she throw tantrums whenever she doesn't get her way?
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 11:16 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I tell mine the same shes got 5mins. If she starts to cry I geab her put in the car n go home. At home she is put in her room n as well avioded TV n any of her favorite toy. Of course I explain why.
    Autiziumom

Answer by Autiziumom at 11:19 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• well with my 3yr old i do a countdown type thing starting at 15or 30minutes and every 5 minutes or 10 i remind them we are living in so many minutes. also even if he still pitches a fit i take him out to show he wont get his way just because he screams. i take it you dont believe in popping so i wont suggest that but i will say that if my son was eight and did tis i would but everyone has their own parenting style and i respect that. before you get out of the car you perhaps could offer her a treat after the park like an icecream cone if she doesnt pitch a fit. if she does go get one for yourself, it makes an impression and it treats you to a well deserved treat. you could also tell her that if she does pitch a fit you will no take her back for lets say 2 weeks and when you get home you can mark a calender for when she is allowed again and explain again to her why you are doing this and the next time warn her again.
    2breath2live

Answer by 2breath2live at 11:20 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• If she whines at the warning then she dosent even get her last mins of play time right to the car she goes. If she continues when you get home right into bed she goes. That is what we do here when our daughter is out of hand she goes into her bedroom bc I tell her if she is going to throw a fit like that it says to me she needs to go to sleep. shes not allowed out until she has calmed down & spoken with me & sometimes that dosent happen she is in bed at 3pm for the evening & through the night. However, it works for us in this hosue but my daughter is also only 3yo. Good luck.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 11:32 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Stop taking her to the park. When she asks why tell her until she learns how to leave without throwing a fit she simply won't get to go. I promise you'll see results quickly. You don't have to punish her, but you must learn to quit rewarding her bad behavior.
    PTmomma3

Answer by PTmomma3 at 11:34 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I agree with Nicole completely! 8 is far too old to be throwing tantrums. She would not be going to the park. 8 is old enough to reason with and understand that kind of consequence. "You have a fit when we leave, I'm not taking you anymore". Try again after a few weeks.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:42 AM on Jun. 11, 2011