My grandson is almost 3 yrs old, he will not drink from a cup, sippy cup or any such thing.

He is mildly autistic, also has an eating disorder, won't eat anything with texture, although I've been working on that this week while I am keeping him. I feed him and try to get him to drink from the cup which is always a fight to the end. Please can you help me help him.

Grammy12921

Asked by Grammy12921 at 11:09 AM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• try a straw then try those cups that have a built in straw and slowly change cups to one without a straw at all
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 11:18 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Try having his Dr refer you to a speech therapist. They can help give you ideas on different textured foods and other tricks to try during mealtime. Hang in there!
    PTmomma3

Answer by PTmomma3 at 11:20 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Does he have any favorite cartoon characters like Disney Cars or Toy Story? If so, at the grocery store they sell fun sippy cups & ones with straws that pop up. Maybe if you get a cup with a character on it with a straw he may like it. Also, some sippy cups come with the plugs inside that prevent spilling. I would remove it because he may find that it is too hard to suck the liquid out with the plugs. Hope I helped a little.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:21 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Just keep at it. Make a game out of it. Show him that you are drinking out of it. Show him other people drinking out of it. Tell him to kiss the cup (just to get it to his lips)...don't laugh at that...my youngest had a feeding disorder and they taught him to kiss the food and smell it first so that he could establish trust with the food...LOL! Maybe you could try that same strategy with the cup. Praise the heck out of him when he kisses it. Let him pour water into it himself with a little pitcher and then reward him when he drinks out it. Sounds like a hassle but we had to do this sort of thing with each bite my son took. Best of luck. BTW...they told us not to make a big deal out of it if he didn't take a bite of the food or eat it at all. Just to ignore the "bad" behavior and praise the good. HTH!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:21 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• PTmomma3 is correct. We had a speech therapist working in our home with him for these feeding issues.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:22 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Have you tried a Camelbak bottle? I know a lot of kids that have trouble with sippy cups prefer them. It might be another option to try. I totally agree that a speech therapist might be a great help. Is he in any kind of program to help him yet? I know some programs take children younger than three. It would be worth looking into before any of these issues get worse. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:43 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• It might help to offer him a cup when you're out at the park and he's hot and thirsty. I've found that when he's really thirsty and in a different environment, he's more willing to try new things. You can bring (but hide) his prefered drink container incase he absolutely refuses and you don't want him to just stay thirsty. Playtex make these travel-mug looking things for todders that has been a good introduction to real cups for my son, but still helps to control the mess. I take out the valve so it flows a little faster and easier, and he quickly got the idea that there is a yummy cool drink in there.

http://www.amazon.com/Playtex-Coolster-Tumbler-Sippy-pack/dp/B000ZLY6AE/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1307812211&sr=8-7
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 1:18 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• An OT would probably be able to help you with textural issues, ask for a referral.

Answer by missanc at 4:13 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• What does he currently drink from? It's important to make small transitions, and expect them to take a while.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 7:21 PM on Jun. 12, 2011