What to do?really long but plz read i need advise!

I'm 19 I have 3 month old son and I ran away when I was 16 I didn't come back home until 4 months ago to stay with my mom and my half bro he is 5 and during the weekends he is so loud and I know its hard for a 5 yr old to be quiet but damn she says she can't get him to be quiet.and she just now started to discipline him and she's not really doing it to well just the other day she put him in time out and he got up and got his stuffed animals then went back to time out now is it just me or is that comfort? A kid isn't sopposed to have comfort while he's being displinened and she gave me permission to help discipline him well I do from time to time but my son can't ever get to sleep BC of him and my son or me don't have our own room and have to stay in the living room and I know I need to get out of the house but I cantjust yet and we have foodstamp coming in and I have a check coming in so she doesn't buy everything for me I support myself and my son for all the stuff the only thing I don't help out with is rent and that's cheap and she says she doesn't need help so now that that's said how do I get him to be quiet I can't keep coming outside just so my son can take a nap!! I don't know what to do I help my mom out with house work she comes home to a clean house I kinda feel like a stay at home dad BC I can get my bro to listen to me just not when it comes to being quiet. Does any of this make sence or is it just me being snotty or what? Plz no bashing just tell me what u think in a nice way. Im not critising my mom and i have tryedto lget him used to noise but it doesnt work.Oh and not to mention my mom always ask me for advise about her relationships with men I mean I'm only 19 yea I have went thru more stuff than u but does it look like I know this? LOL idk I need advise plz ssl

renah164

Asked by renah164 at 11:43 AM on Jun. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• Honestly, I always liked having noise around when my babies slept. If they get used to a little noise, you won't have to be tiptoeing around all the time.

I also wouldn't criticize how your mother is raising her child, unless you are prepared for the same criticism.

Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 11:54 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Oh and when I said I went through more stuff than u I only said this BC my mom said I went through more stuff I just got out of an abusive relationship so I need my family right now and just in case u don't know this is the girl who made the post lol
    renah164

Comment by renah164 (original poster) at 12:01 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• unfortunately 5 yr olds do have a hard time being quiet... as do most kids... i have a 4yr old and a 2 yr old and another due any day and the babies just have to get used to the noise... maybe try to put your baby to nap somewhere else like your moms room or another room your brother isnt using... discipline is good... if hes doing something thats dangerous to your baby and your mom isnt handling it well you can bring that up but other than that there snot much you can say,,babies at 3 months old are very flexible and will adjust to sleeping with the noise.. my youngest can sleep through anything bc of all the noise my ds made when he was an infant... try to keep the peace and do whats best for your family.. gl
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 12:08 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Babies don't need complete quiet to nap. There is noise in the real world. You can't expect life to stop and be quiet just because your baby needs a nap. He will get used to it.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 12:21 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Get used to it. Five year olds are not quiet. Besides he may calm down once school starts up again. I would be interested to know why you feel a child should not have comfort when being disciplined though. They need something to calm them and help them regain composure. Trust me the house does not have to be quiet for a child to sleep. I wouldn't call you snotty or anything just inexperienced. As for your mom, well maybe she should be asking her relationship questions here rather than asking you. And as for discipline try positive reinforcement. Praise him when he does well and remember one minute of time out for each year of age.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:00 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• i agree but when my bro does be quiet he starts screaming or bangs something and startles my son awake then i have to start all over again and i try not to complain bc theres nothing i can do about it but constant noise is fine its just the noises that come out of nowhere and he has a viral infection and doesnt feel good so him crying bc he got startled awake dosent help any but i agree im just gonna have to deal with it oh and he switches every room in the hose and runs everywhere and our trailer is so small theres no blocking out the noise...
    renah164

Comment by renah164 (original poster) at 7:05 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Your bro needs an outlet and some attention....positive attention. It sounds now like he's acting out because someone will notice him. He sounds like he's seeking interaction, even if it's negative interaction. Is there anyone who can watch the baby while you take your bro out to the park or something?? What's worse, it seems like your mom is more interested in a man than her own son. She should be taking him to the park to play. Maybe he'd be interested in some karate classes or sports activity like soccer. he needs to get out and play with kids his own age. He may be acting out of boredom too.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:48 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• i so agree thats y im totally devoted to my son bc i dont want to be like her sitting round on her phone when shes not doing schoolwork all the time not to metion always saying shes gonna end it with her bf when she never does b4 i told her she needed to give her son more attention i was the one who played with him all the tim but in the end shes helping me out by letting me stay here. while i grew up she was still dating man after man she always ended up separting after a year or two....but shes my mom and i love her and at least shes not a drugattic mother who doesnt give a shit. for the most part i respect her for going to school to give my bro a better life.:)
    renah164

Comment by renah164 (original poster) at 10:17 PM on Jun. 11, 2011