Are all 4 yr. olds so demanding?!!!!

My daughter just turned 4 & is so demanding. I dont know if its a behavior she is picking up from other preschoolers or at the babysitters w/her kids. But mine expects me to jump AS SOON AS SHE UTTERS THE WORDS FROM HER MOUTH!! Its very frustrating. I do not give her what she always wants. I give her things when I can. I tell her that she has to have some patience & things do not occur instantaneously! I have my second baby due in December & i am trying to get my 4 yr. old to realize it is not all about her without using the baby as an excuse. I dont want her to resent the baby. I just want her to wait her turn when we r talking or on the phone & to have some patience w/out the annoying attitude she flings if its not right now!! Thoughts? tell me its the the age & I can deal alittle better! :)

Asked by deniselvt at 11:51 AM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Only as long as you allow her to be.

Answer by meooma at 11:53 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• sounds pretty typical for her age.

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Jun. 11, 2011

• You are being manipulated by a 4 year old, she has learned to expect nothing but quick actions from you, you have to retrain not to expect it and be patient.

Answer by older at 12:00 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• i think its jsut an age thing... my son is turning 4 in august and i have the same issues sometime.. but it sounds like you are handling it well. just keep doing what youre doing and it should stop... hopefully

Answer by zperez0809 at 12:01 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• if you teach them to be they will be

• She will get it momma, pretty normal!

Answer by kimigogo at 12:45 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• My daughter turned 4 in March, and does the exact same thing. It's like she expects me to as how high? on my way up when she says jump. They, has HUGE fits when I don't cater to her every whim. She has lots of fits by the way.

I feel like a broken record of "I am NOT here on this earth to do YOUR every little whim".

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:49 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• If you've ever taken a child psychology class, there is a great deal of discussion of the different ideas of development and the different stages that kids go through. I find it helpful to have a working knowledge of those ideas, because it explains a lot of the behavior quirks that kids go though...and it helps know what is "normal" developmentally, or not.  This is pretty normal.  That doesn't mean you should let her get away with it, just that it is her way of working thru Erikson's Stages of Psychosocial Development!  Honestly, if you aren't catering to her every whim, then you already have it under control...she'll learn, and just drive you crazy in the meantime (they make them so cute for a reason.  

Answer by thalassa at 4:28 PM on Jun. 11, 2011