How did you do it???

ok so my son is 3 going on 4 and we are potty training him. He's got the going pee down no problems but i cant get him to go poop in the tolit. He keeps going in his underwear. I dont understand he will run to the potty saying he has to go yucky and then nothing. Ugh i dont know what to do. HELP ME lol,.....

tristinsmommy

Asked by tristinsmommy at 12:49 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• maybe he is ashamed? some kids dont like to go poop in the potty because they do see it as YUCKY and that makes them feel bad. they have been doing it in their pants for their whole life so they dont have to deal with it but in the potty its forefront in their minds.
    takes_a_village

Answer by takes_a_village at 12:53 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• My son was the same age and a VERY similar problem. Only he'd just poop his pants, not run to the toilet. After a LOT of nearly useless advice from a different moms site, I got the gem that worked: let him squat on the toilet seat to poop.

One night at dinner I asked him if there was ANYTHING about going potty that scared him. He shyly nodded yes and after a LOT of questions (felt like I was pulling teeth), I got the story that there were monsters in our toilet that were trying to get him/his poop and he was terrified of them. So after dinner I set up a little step for him and showed him how to squat on the seat. After that we never had another poop in his pants; unless he was sick, but that's different.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:59 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• My son was the same when we went through potty training! I bribed him with candies when he went in the potty. He finally got it and I haven't had a accident in about a year!
    mommy2amari

Answer by mommy2amari at 12:13 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• our 3 yr old has been having constipation issues(sorry)..and been afraid to go..so what me and hubby have been doing is taking tunrns having her sit on the potty for about 15 minutes,,we read books to her..it may be a bad habit to start,,but it works for now..try reading books to him,or sing the abcs..
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 12:53 PM on Jun. 12, 2011