Soap in the mouth: yay or nay?

earlier today someone posted a Q about having issues with her 3 y/o and said a nurse suggested putting a small amount of dish soap in the child's mouth for saying naughty words or talking back.

i think this is a ridiculous, but find myself wondering how many people actually think this is a good idea... so....

what's your opinion?
go forth and debate...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• absolutely not!
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 12:54 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• def nay... i just think thats cruel
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 12:56 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• i think that back in the day becore all the chemicals in soap it was fine and worked well in fact but now you would need to get all natural dye and scent free soap. we dont use it at our home but our friends do and their boys sure do talk back less!
    takes_a_village

Answer by takes_a_village at 12:56 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• this is something i def would not do with a child so young..but with a child thats older 10 etc i think a bar of soap to the potty mouth would be ok..i have done the bar soap thing with my younger cousin and my sd bc they had horrible mouths and nothing else seemed to work
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 12:56 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• How old was that nurse? 105 years old??? LL. That was an old fashioned STUPID idea
    If you have no ability to talk with your kid and teach them how to behave and if you are so weak that you can't be a good example for your kids then....maybe you would try the soap in the mouth technique.
    SOap in the mouth is worthless as a discipline tool.
    Good grief.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:57 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• no way
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 12:57 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• soap, cider vinegar, etc. natural things, like a bar of ivory brand. NOT a fancy liquid foaming antibacterial thing. the amt. of soap I occasionally put in my kids mouth is comparable to when they're blowing bubbles and get the wand in their mouth on accident. It's an effective threat now since we've actually done it a few times. The pediatrician knows, as do their teachers and caregivers. I have complete transparency ... it's one of about 10 discipline techniques I rotate from depending on what I am trying to teach/correct
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:58 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• No way! It can make them sick and cause diarrhea.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:59 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• It... It 'twas... soap poisoning! ---ralphie, explaining the cause of his blindness (A Christmas Story)

LOLOLOL!!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:59 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• HELL NO! THAT IS POISON!! YOU ARE POISING YOUR CHILD!!!!
    surfgrl60

Answer by surfgrl60 at 1:00 PM on Jun. 11, 2011