I am 27 and trying to get pregnant. My husband and I just bought a place, have great jobs, and a great relationship. I recently told a friend because she noticed that I"m no longer going out to bars/clubs or drinking. She thinks it's ridiculous and that I'm "too young." Has this happened to anyone else out there? Have you had friends/relatives upset that you're pregnant and/or trying to have a kid? It doesn't help that all my friends are single and partying like crazy.

Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I am 27, and trying to have my second child. I had one friend in particular that was not very pleased to even hear that I was pregnant with my first child. She would say that she was happy for me, but her attitude when she said it could of told me otherwise. She was really negative and didn't think that I should of had a baby so soon. I wasn't married at the time, but my now husband and I both were ready to be parents. I think that you should do what makes you happy. If your friends are not happy, maybe it's time to re-evaluate their friendships. If the people really cared about you, then they should all be happy and support you. Somtimes, it will take them until the middle of your pregnancy to actually be supportive. Because then, they know how serious you are about it! I say that you are doing a good thing by not drinking. Well, I hope that I encouraged you even if it was just a little bit. Good luck! I hope it works out for you. ;)

Answer by foxy_fairy at 1:04 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• It's not easy when you are going through a life change or preparing to go through a life changing situation such as having a baby. Many of these friends tend to drift out of your life. There aren't alot of single girlfriends who want to spend hours discussing breastfeeding or cloth vs disposible diapers. You will find that over time the single friends become "busy" and you'll find yourself hanging out with other "Mommies" more often. Don't let anyone tell you what age you should be to start a family. You're the one getting up for 1 am feedings, no one else, besides there are just as many arguments for having children early in life as there are for waiting. (My oldest was born when I was 20, now that was young)

Answer by Eliza34 at 1:07 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Honey don't worry what anyone else thinks it looks to me like you have your life on track. Most of my friends are single and still go out and party, right now your friends don't understand but they will and your life is not over just because you have a family you can still go out with your friends after the baby is born eventually they will see how happy you are with your family and they will understand. Believe me when you hold that baby for the first time everything just falls in to place and it is SOOO worth giving up everything for the moment.

Answer by momto1727 at 1:09 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I am 21 with a nine month old and me and my hubby got married when we were both eighteen we tried for nine months to get pregers. And once Matt turns 1year we plan on tryin again! I'm not sayin its for everyone but it is for us. Don't let other's openions or comments dictate your life bc what makes others happy isn't garenteed to make you happy. Oh yeah we live on base with a bunch of 20 somthings who like to party and drink constantly who are nowhere near ready for kids and don't see how we do it

Answer by charlirose29904 at 1:39 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I just turned 26 and have 3 kids and am done having children...I dont think your friend knows what she is talking about. Do what is best for you:)

Answer by Chris127 at 1:42 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• It may be hard for some friends to be supportive of the choice your making she may see that choice as bringing a big change to the way you connect as friends. You should follow your desire and do what feels right for you. I don't think 27 is too early to start a family it sounds like a wonderful age. I wish I had been in a position to start trying sooner since it took me a long time to achieve it.

Answer by JeniferL at 2:42 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I'm 25 and having my second. Your friends sound like they're just not at that point in their lives yet where they're thinking about having families, so they may feel that you're not either. Becoming a parent will change some of your relationships, and it will change how you live your life, but if it's what you want, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Good luck!

Answer by rachaelvalkyrie at 7:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I too am 27 and I'm having my 4th and 5th child. There are always going to be those who think you're crazy or too young or too old or what ever. You can't concern yourself with them, do what's right for you.

Answer by misty1_sd at 7:04 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• u know what friends should be friends not teachers if u feel ur ready and wanna make the move they should respect that and wish u the best of luck ...same thing happened to me and i told them that i wanted to make something more of my life then jus partyin it away...and i lost every single friend i had because they said i got boring. ull most likley loose them but its better to have lost them because they werent true friends to begin with

Answer by ShYmAmA08 at 8:58 PM on Jun. 22, 2008