Question about bedwetting...

My sons are 6 and 4. Both sleep with pull ups on. My husband and his brother wet the bed at least until the age of 6 or 7. I hear it could be genetic. I've tried letting them sleep without, but then I end up doing laundry like crazy and the room smells. Should I continue with the night time diapers or try to get them away from it? How can I tell if its something they can help or not? I don't want to "punish" them for something they can't control, but I don't want to make it easy for them to pee in bed at night either. Any suggestions?

MrsT6102

Asked by MrsT6102 at 9:51 AM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Yes it is genetic, yes they will outgrow it. My kids have "bedwetting genes" from both parents. I assumed they would wet the bed and always put them to bed with a pull up or goodnight on. My older son, now 8 still needs them. My younger son stopped wetting, and waking up to pee on his own, right around when he turned 6. When he had been dry for a few weeks he stopped wearing them.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:49 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• i was 9 when i stopped.my mom used to wake me up once or twice during the night,and do a bathroom trip.
    mommomdenise

Answer by mommomdenise at 10:06 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Expert on bedwetting here...LOL.....Just a mom whose being dealing with this for a long time. Anyway, my oldest one wet until she was 11. They really cannot help it. Yes its genetic and can be coupled with small immature bladder as well. Now, my 7 yr old wets too and he SOAKS a pull up at night. He just can't help it. Both of my bedwetters have expressed their own frustrations about it. My oldest daughter told me about age 7 or 8 that she was NOT wearing a diaper anymore. So, I let it go. I had her evaluated and any med conditions ruled out and he put her on meds for this. It worked so well. It gave her back her self esteem. My now 7 yr old son has just now asked to be seen by the doc.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:09 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Ive been putting it off because I don't really want him on meds. I don't think thats first resort. You could try the alarms, but they do only work for some kids. My kids sleep right through it. You could try going and getting them up, but thats only if you can take the night time interruption. Also make sure they see the doc and he rules out UTI or any other sort of infection. Being that BOTH of them are wetters, its not likely they have any med issues. Then consider the meds if you wish. They have to have their sodium levels checked at 6 mo intervals, but other than that, we had no other side effects. I certainly feel for you. I think its going to be awhile before my son stops wetting and I have another child behind him. I am preparing myself for him being a wetter too....best wishes
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:12 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• They will probably outgrow it. I know my husband wet the bed for a VERY long time! And his mom had tried everything to get it to stop (specials pee alarms and medications)... but if they sleep really deep they just don't wake. Limit what the drink before bed and keep the pull-ups.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:06 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I'm so relieved! I was worried i was aiding and abetting with the pull ups! :) I guess I just have to wait it out! Thanks everyone!
    MrsT6102

Answer by MrsT6102 at 7:28 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I know it can seem frustrating for all of you but they probably cant help it. You can try to eliminate liquids about two hours before bed and also make them use the bathroom before going to bed. Wake them up about two hours after they go to bed and have them go. That way they might not wet. Do they wake up on their own to go? If not you may have to wake them up more than once.
    Mommy_of_two_85

Answer by Mommy_of_two_85 at 8:07 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I dont think they can help it and this is soooo common. My brother did very late...but we found out that sometimes..and I stress sometimes this is a precurser to Juvenile Diabetes, which he was diagnosed with at the age of 12. Try getting them up in the night and limit their intake of fluids throughout the day. I think this too shall pass it just seems like it is taking forever...must be in lots of households because they make those pull ups that you are not supposed to tell they are wearing so they can have sleep overs. Don't fret just be patient.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:11 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Yes, it can be genetic. If a parent wet the bed, the child is very likely to do so to.

Have you tried a bedwetting alarm? I wet the bed until nearly 6. I just slept right on through the night - wet sheets and all. I never heard that "I've got to go!" message from my bladder. The bedwetting alarm really helped retrain my sleeping brain to listen to that message.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:12 PM on Dec. 11, 2008