Rashes on the face from food....

hopefully people read before responding the typical "take the baby to the doctor!" (yeah i know, duh)...

i have many allergies, (wheat, milk, tree nuts, tropical fruits...). so far my oldest son is allergic to red dye, middle son allergic to peaches and cinnamon and now my youngest got a rash on his cheek and eye area that lasted almost a week (middle son's peach allergy showed with a deep rash on his cheeks for a few days). i practice food journaling to figure out allergies but cannot for the life of me figure out what he ate that caused the reaction AND why it lasted so long. of course i am going to get him tested BUT in the meantime i was wondering if anyone else had any ideas that i hadn't thought of or what may have given your child a similar reaction.

thanks for the time

juliness

Asked by juliness at 1:06 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Health

• soy! there is soy additaves in tons of things like fake butter for example thats how i found out i cant eat it. (only some brands use soy) look at the little things
    takes_a_village

Answer by takes_a_village at 1:10 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• You don't say how old he is. My daughter was 4-6 months old and we were slowly introducing solids. She'd get these small rashes at her temples with most fruits, and sweet potatoes. They'd show up within minutes of her taking a few bites and disappear in like 10-20 minutes after eating.

One thing I DID notice was the Mott's applesause, or whatever store brand we'd purchased, has salt in it as one ingredient. That was one of her worst reactions. But, give her straight applesause (either Gerber or homemade) and she would NOT get that reaction.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:18 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• How old is he, are you sure that it wasn't something outside? The first time we let DS walk around in the yard, he got a rash all over his face, he endend up being allergic to grassl
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:21 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Could it be a non-food related thing, like fabric, lotions, sun exposure, drool, wind, etc?
    klickitykat

Answer by klickitykat at 1:08 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• thanks for the responses!
    he's a year old, i know it's not soy because i thought he was lactose intolerant for awhile there so i'd use soy based things with no reaction. it happened after eating at my inlaws house so i don't fully know what he had been given (which makes it that much harder). it was on one side of his face: cheek and around his eye. the rash itself was poofy and dark red but didn't make the rest of his face or eye swell. i can't think of anything externally it could be either. ugh.

i know i'm allergic to something airborne which makes my face get hives periodically but i still don't know what that is either. though treenuts close by can give me a reaction, he's ingested peanut and almond containing things without any issues.

so glad his appointment is coming up so i can just get him tested and figure it out! i might just get everyone tested to make life easier later on! :)
    juliness

Comment by juliness (original poster) at 9:21 AM on Jun. 17, 2011