Have you seen the commercial about using the 'R" word?

Which would be retard by the way.
It brought tears to my eyes.
Do you feel its as much of a slur as n*gger,or kike or fag?
With having a developmentally disabled child,I tend to cringe at that word. Yes,its been directed at my son.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 1:22 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• i've seen it. i've never been shallow enough to call a mentally disabled person retarded, or a homosexual a faggot, so on and so forth, anyway. still, i've never understood the reasoning why words have so much impact. of course it's rude to try to demean someone, but the only person it makes look stupid is the person using the term.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:28 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Yeah, but I don't call mentally challenged people retards. I think in my generation the word has always been slang. Not nice, I kow, but I don't think people should take it personally unless it is directed at someone handicapped.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 1:25 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• no, i don't think it's as bad as other racial slurs. The word retarded first came from the ward retard which means to slow down. They took that word & labeled it on people who are mentally slower. Nowa days, people take it as a slur because of the connotations connected to that word.

If someone says the "n" word, they most likely have issues against black people. But, many people throw out the "R" word, yet have nothing against people who are mentally challenged.

I know it can be a sensitive word to people who have a relative, friend or child who is mentally challenged. My aunt has downs syndrome though & she uses the word retarded all the time. It's kind of hard not to laugh when she calls you retarded....She's awesome though & has quite the sense of humor.

I know I'll get vote downs for this, but i am just being completely honest.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:31 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Here's the ad for those who haven't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T549VoLca_Q

Up til now I'd only seen it on cable.  Glad to hear they're finally showing it on prime-time broadcast.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:05 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Retarded-slow or limited in intellectual or emotional development or academic progress.

A word having an actual definition doesn't make it ok to use as an insult. Fairy and fag have dictionary definitions, too.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:45 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I cringe also
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 1:23 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I haven't seen it, but that is wrong. My kids even know better than to use that word.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 1:24 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• wow... people still say that???

I kind of thought it was an 80s slang.
    Cant remember last time I heard someone say it.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 1:26 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Sorry....
    The N word really bothers me. I have 3 black cousins and I have seen one of them cry when they were called the N word.
    I have not seen the word in any commercial.
    And I will be honest I have used the R word. Not toward anyone but toward an object or idea.
    People such as myself need to become educated in knowing that this word has hurt many people.
    What was the commercial.
    styhmMommy

Answer by styhmMommy at 1:28 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Of course if it's being directed at someone, it's just as disgusting as any other slur. But, myself & no one else i know would ever use that word towards someone who is mentally challenged. When i hear it, it's usually used as an adjective to desctibe something...instead of saying "that's stupid" or "that's dumb"...i sometimes hear..."that's retarded".

Same thing with "that's gay"...my homosexual friends say that more than my heterosexual friends do...lol...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:36 PM on Jun. 11, 2011