Chore Chart ideas

I need help coming up with a new chore chart method. Once my chore chart stops working, I change it up so the kids get new interest in it. So, right before school let out, I had to change it and I used an old method, but it still didn't work.
Just wondering if anyone else has some new ideas to offer.

What I do now is create chores, some are basic things they need to learn to do without prompting (like brushing teeth and not fighting with each other) others are new chores I want them to learn (like feeding the dog and putting away their laudnry). They get a check mark for each chore and if they have so many check marks at the end of the week, they get some sort of prize. I'm wanting to change it to be more on an instant gratification/punishment type thing.

CJM_SHM

Asked by CJM_SHM at 1:40 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Ok so how about a bongo thing. Make cards with a picture of a chore in each box or let them do it at the beggining of the week. Then make a spin wheel, really easy to make. And have them spin 1 or 2 times a day or as many as they want and when they get bingo they get something of the list. And make a list with things they are aloud to have. Or a list for each day and if they get bingo on that day they get the prize for that day. The number of blocks should either be 5 or 7 depending on how many days you make them do chores. I think this would be fun.
    Hapsand123

Answer by Hapsand123 at 1:49 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• This is a good idea... I might impliment my own....
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:49 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• that does sound like a fun idea! Thanks :)
    CJM_SHM

Comment by CJM_SHM (original poster) at 1:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Mine is 3 and he brushes his own teethe no questions asked and will go clean his room and pick up his own clothes. We are trying also to teach him that it is a nice thing to do with each other and respectful to do things for others like when daddy leaves his shoes or clothes everywhere that it's nice to pick them up and help mommy. When I clean, I turn the music on and we dance and sing and I give him a wet rag and he will dust everything. I try ro show him we can have fun with it and that's it's not a chore. Also we play games or watch a detain tv show or do something that he wants to do depending on how he acted. If he wasnt the greatest and asks if he can have something, I tell him that he didn't deserve it today becuz of whatever it was. This really works for us and he is a great kid. He has never had any tantrums EVER. So we are grateful.
    Hapsand123

Answer by Hapsand123 at 1:57 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• good for you! Sounds like you are a great mommy and really enjoying your time with your son :) I feel like my kids are very well behaved also, but they are very close in age and bicker with each other a lot. I can't stand that! Plus, my son (6 years old) is autistic and he obsesses over video games. He knows he has to earn play time and hes not allowed to just play whenever, but that doesn't stop him from asking repeatedly! The chore chart is really more for him and to stop these type of behaviors. If he has a visual to look at and remind what he needs to do to earn it and when he can play, it helps him from just constantly and repetitively asking :) They do enjoy doing housework though. We have to have a system in place to let them know whos turn it is to dust and mop and stuff like that, lol!
    CJM_SHM

Comment by CJM_SHM (original poster) at 2:06 PM on Jun. 11, 2011