What can I learn from your parenting mistakes?

I do plenty of learning from my own mistakes, but I want to learn more from others so I don't have to do them too.

Thank you, and Please feel free to answer anon.

Dkhilly

Asked by Dkhilly at 1:43 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• Don't lean over to kiss your kid on the head when you have gum in your mouth or you will end up cutting that gum out of their hair.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:55 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Bottle Rot! Straight juice in a sippy cup eats teeth!! Yes, it can happen to your child! Don't make the mistake I did and think it can't!
    Anonymous

• I think every person's parenting experience is going to be different. The only way you really learn from mistakes is to be directly involved, whether it be yourself, a friend or a family members mistake. You have to be involved to really learn the lesson.

One mistake I made and continue to make is comparing my son to other kids. He is autistic and doing very, very well. Yet I am constantly watching other kids, especially boys, his age to see if he seems "normal" compared to them. I usually do think he acts a lot like them, but I wish I would stop and just remind myself that being different isn't a bad thing and to teach him to embrace who he is.
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 1:47 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Do not tell your kids about your past. Depending on what you tell them they will use it against . Do not tell your kids about their past either. Kids do not remember things usually before a certain age.

Answer by louise2 at 1:47 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Be financially prepared before having kids. Nothing worse than having to make up a reason why your kids can't have something when the truth is you really can't afford it.
    Anonymous

• Make sure your little boy points his penis down when he pees sitting down!!
    kmqw229

Answer by kmqw229 at 3:14 PM on Jun. 11, 2011