Does you SO wake up with your children at night??

My Df use to be pretty good with waking up with the kids when they were newborns, and sleeping with us in the same bed room. But since we have move them to their own room he does not wake up with them or for them. I am the one getting in and out of bed, like 4 times a night. It is frustrating. Especially, since my 2yo only likes for Daddy to put her to bed. I have tried waking up DF but he won't wake up. Just a couple of weeks ago someone came to the front door (3am) and rang the door bell. I couldn't get him to wake so I had to go to the door and see who it is. The next morning I will ask him if he heard or remembered anything and he tells me no. I also ask why didn't he get the baby and he says he would have if he heard her or if I told him to. But I do tell him to wake up and he is asleep like the dead.

styhmMommy

Asked by styhmMommy at 1:50 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• Sometimes he will get up before I do or he will ask if one of the girls is okay. my ex had that problem where he just wouldn't get up and wouldn't remember getting fussy with me at all the next morning. I hated it!
    Anonymous

• maybe he really does not hear and when its u he does not fully wake up? when the baby was in ur roo he heard her cry and that sparked a natural response but now that he does not hear her his body says stay sleeping? best thing i can come up with :)
    takes_a_village

Answer by takes_a_village at 1:55 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• well, gosh, doesnt sound like he is being rude... just that he is a VERY heavy sleeper.

I also think that women are wired differently. I know that I can wake from a dead sleep at the sound of "vomit" cough and sleep through a regular cough. Hubs was SHOCKED that in my sleep I could distinguish the two... but some how I did and got our little one to the bathroom before she vomited in her bed. Moms are simply different than dads.
    Anonymous

• Same here. I can wake through my deepest sleep when I hear a real cry, I can also hear a little moan but I will sleep through it. I know when I have to wake I guess he doesn't.
    styhmMommy

Comment by styhmMommy (original poster) at 1:57 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• No, he's a pretty heavy sleeper. By the time I wake him up, I just might as well do it myself.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:57 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• just depends, if he's too tired i get up, if im too tired he gets up
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:59 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• My husband can't hear it, so he doesn't wake. Even if he does wake up, he is so groggy, he can't think clearly. He is super-confused and can't function. The kids wind up crying and being more awake. Then, I have to be awake for even longer picking up the pieces.

So, I have decided that it is not worth my time to address the issue. It just makes it worse for me.

He needs to sleep. I let him sleep, so he can function when he is awake.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:04 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Never, he pretends to sleep and I always get up
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:09 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• When my kids were babies, he would always get up, change the baby's diaper, and bring him to me to nurse.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:14 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• It's rare for him not to wake up. 90% of the time, when one of them wakes up, they want daddy - the last 4 nights DS has woken up and just yelled "daddy, daddy, daddy" over til daddy got to him. Once it a while I'll be the one to sleep through them. But the youngest is 4 years so it's not a huge deal, like when they were tiny.
    Anonymous