My daughter is a month old and needs to be rocked or bounced in order to fall asleep. I'm worried...

that when we move her to her crib in a few months that she'll have trouble sleeping. Most of the time I lay her down in her bassinet while she's still awake, but starting to fall asleep. A lot of the time she wakes up after I lay her down though. If she does I'll give her a pacifier if she wants it, and rock her bassinet since it's made to. Well, you can't rock a crib! Should I stop rocking her, or is it too soon? I was nursing her to sleep for a while, but now that she's older it doesn't work. She might get sleepy while eating, but she'll wake up after she's done so I'll still need to rock her. I'm okay with the pacifier because it makes her happy and reduces SIDS. The rocking is what I'm worried about.

ours

Asked by ours at 1:54 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had such a hard time transitioning my son from a bassinet to the crib that with my daughter we went straight into the crib. You can always get one of those soothing crib "toys" that play music or a heartbeat to sooth baby back to sleep!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:57 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Oh heck.... they are all so different. You will figure out what works for her to sleep in her own bed.

my first had to have a hard rythmic pat on the back to fall asleep in the crib.
    my second fell asleep fine on his own but was a napper and would wake up multiple times.
    my last had to have skin to skin on her cheek and then HAD to cry for a good 5 min or more just to get that last bit of energy out of her.
    Anonymous

• we rocked my dd to sleep till she was almost a year! once she was asleep we would just put her in the crib and she was fine! we had a soothing music box that played too!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 1:59 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• our dd had a similar issue although she was a bit older when she moved to a crib and what we did was while i rocked her (in the bed or in a chair) i would pat her back or belly or leg or something just softly then i just kinda slowly stopped the rocking while keeping up with the patting and then once she fell asleep by just the patting i could move her to the bed that did not rock and she would sleep with the patting. eventually i reduced the patting as well.

takes_a_village

Answer by takes_a_village at 1:59 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I have a 16, 14, and 10 yr old.... I would give ANYTHING to have them be babies again and rock them to sleep.... to hear that cry in the middle of the night and know with all my heart that I am the ONLY one that can calm them.... to nurse them in the still of the night and feel that little warm body against me.

Heck.... rock her as long as you need... one day you will be lacking sleep while you wait for her to come home from prom... praying that she didnt make any bad life choices that night. You will be up at night just watching her, knowing that she will be leaving for college in less than two year... and wondering where the time went. One day you will want all those sleepless nights back... and you will never be able to rock them again.

rock her.
    Anonymous

• my daughter was the same,but by time i made her to get to falling asleep without rocking..you must beleive that she WILL sleep,because she is a human being and NEEDS to sleep,it will take u some effort,but you wil do it. first she will take some time and will start crying and will not sleep easily,but when she knows that there is no hope,and there is NOOO rocking by any meansnshe will sleep,and get used to that.
    newmom300

Answer by newmom300 at 2:11 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• My goal is for her to enjoy falling asleep. I don't want her to be upset. I understand eventually you need to let an OLDER baby/toddler CIO. I think I started when my son was 5mos+ and only for 5mins before going in to console him, but not pick him up. Now that he's 2 1/2 we'll let him get upset for up to 10mins because we know he's just throwing a fit because he can. If he needs something, he'll tell us.

Anyway, we have a fisher price music thing in her crib that my son used and a mobile too. It's black and white which I heard keeps their attention better. I have no problem rocking her, it's just that I've heard NOT to rock to sleep, but just until they're almost asleep. If I don't wait until she's asleep, a lot of the time she'll just wake back up. That's when I use the bassinet to rock her instead of picking her up. I don't want to have to keep coming back in to rock her over and over for every nap and bedtime.
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 2:33 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I rocked my last one for to long and that I realized was a big mistake. Now even at 6 she is clingy to me but will sleep on her own. I would try to rock half way and then lay them down to try to fall asleep. start each night moving closer and closer to the door and that is what worked for me along with a pacifier and her mobile music. I know hard but it will get easier each night. We when had a thing that hung the crib from fisher price that was fish and lights and slow music and all three of girls would watch the fish and lights and would be asleep before it went off for the night.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 2:46 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• She's only a month, give it time.
    When you move her to her crib, rock her till she's sleepy and lay her down still somewhat awake on her side a bit and continue to rock her gently while she's laying there. Gently, slowly slow the rocking and lighten your touch. I did this with my girls, they loved the rocking, occasionally when they're having a hard time settling at night I'll still do it, they're 3 and 5. I'd also place a stuffy on their hip/bottom area, where I was rocking them so they still felt the pressure there but I could make my escape.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 3:25 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• You can hold her and sit on the rocking chair when you do transfer her to the crib. Make sure when you put her down she's half awake, so she can learn how to fall asleep by herself. When my son was younger, he's in deep sleep when I was holding him, but once I put him down he's awake. Ever since then I start putting him to sleep when he's half asleep or just falling asleep. After couple of time he have no problem getting to sleep by himself.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 7:01 PM on Jun. 11, 2011