I need to leave for more employment opportunity, mother doesn't approve

Last month I got laid off again. This is the second time in two years this has happened to me. Before I got this last job, I was out of work for nine months. Last September I took a part-time job hoping that it will land into a full-time job, but the place declared cutbacks. This last job was across stateline. I am once again unemployed. I'm getting tired of the high unemployment percentages in the metro and surrounding urban/rural areas. I'm thinking seriously about moving to Texas, transitioning through Salvation Army in that area. The city that I am targeting has only a 4% unemployment with 4.4% new job creation, Odessa, TX. I owe a lot of money and I really need to get serious about finding sustainable work.

Two questions:
1) What to tell family that I need to get serious when they (she- my mom) doesn't want me to move? What do I tell her when she keeps saying that the problem is that I'm not searching hard enough, not praying hard enough, being too picky, etc, etc? (I have already applied at fast food- not hired, but am not made up to become a corrections officer- too timid)?

2) What things should I be doing to get prepared to move into a shelter (i.e. a credit freeze to prevent identity theft, etc)? I have never lived in shelter (slept secretly at former place of work at times)?

Thanks in advance

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Money & Work

• Tell her this is what u need to do to find work. if she starts saying u r not praying or trying hard enough,tell her"Sorry u feel that way,but,I am going to do what I need to do to find work"!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:13 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I see why your mom is not happy about moving because that's not something you just jump into, you wanna make sure you have a job lined up before making a big change like that and also a place to stay, why live in a shelter when you have family to stay with? That's taking a bed from someone who is really homeless and without anything, I think you should try applying for a few more jobs where you are I know its hard but trust me you don't wanna go to a shelter even if you have to go inside stores and inquire about employment I wish you well ( listen to mom she won't tell you anything wrong)
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 2:17 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• toybar02 is right. Have a job secured before u move out there.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:27 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• My mother lives in the country. There's only part time convenience stores. And, they're not hiring. I have already applied at grocery stores and at Dillards and Macys. What I really need is full-time stability without a progressive quota. Macy's didn't call me back and Dillards said that their work environment may not be best for me since most of their workers quit about a year because of the progressive quota according to pay increase. I agreed since my life support depends on this.

My mom doesn't seem to have the full grasp of my situation. Whe criticizes me because I didn't apply as a correction officer. So there's a lot to content to with my mother. Then she tells me to apply leaps and bound to places like the newspaper and police department. I know people at the newspaper and the police department, and they tell me. I just have to take it all in with a sense of humor, but it does get irritating.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:31 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I have large payment. I need a job now. I will network my fingers to the bone in Odessa (as I have done already here where I live).
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:32 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• you need to do what you feel is best. i would definatley try to line up employment and housing if at all possible. Are there any civilian jobs at the count/prison? My husband is in corrections and I know they have other jobs besides corrections. people who work the front desk etc...check out all the options. Good Luck!!
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 7:47 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• You just need to do what you need to do! Don't listen to anyone else. It would be good to have things lined up but I don't think its necessary. You can;t wait for the stars to line up perfect because they never will! Do you have a car? You can sleep in that if you need to.

If your not willing to take risk then, you don't want it bad enough. The bigger the risk the bigger the reward. Just go for it, it could lead you to something great!
    milf661

Answer by milf661 at 4:48 PM on Jun. 12, 2011