Do you think statutory rapists should have to register as sex offenders?

Both parties are willing. The age difference is 2-3 years. What do you think?

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 2:04 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I don't think they should be titled as sex offenders period. to me that is a misuse of a word, when i hear sex offender I think sexual predator. a guy or girl who had sex with someone 2-3 years younger than them isn't a predator, it is a fool who got caught with his finger in the cookie jar by momma or daddy. if it is consensual I think there should be another title and punishment for it instead of a sex offender.
    Anonymous

• No. They should be exculded from the registry, so that we could truly know that those on the registry are all horrible monsters.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:07 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• 2 years tops. 3+ years and we have a problem. No 18 year-old needs to sleep with a 15 year-old and no 19 year old needs a 16 year-old!
    Anonymous

• Nope. I think its stupid when thy are labeled a sex offender for life for such a small difference in age.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:08 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• depends on the particular situation.
    I think a time limit... maybe 5 yrs.
    But for a 18 yr old who had sex with a 16 yr old to have that hanging over him for life is crazyl.
    an 18 yr old and a 14 yr old... even consentual... is MUCH different... so it depends on the situation.
    Anonymous

• NO! I also don't think they should be classified as rapists... If we must label sex with a willing participant a crime in these cases, I think it should be aiding the delinquency of a minor... Not rape. And I personally feel the age limit should be raised to 5 years. I say this because I started HS at 13, and didn't look less than 16, in fact I used that to my advantage and often went after Seniors, who were ofter 18... Since MANY girls look older than they are at those ages, and many times are grouped in with other young people who are in fact quite a bit older than them, it's really not a surprise that so many are getting in to this kind of trouble... My aunt's first boyfriend was 18, she was 14. I actually moved in with my fiance when I was 18, and he was 15...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:18 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• no i dont but i also think that the consenting age needs to be lowered to reflect our current society. our young women are just about adults at 16 so if its like 16 18 its lright if its 14 18 no way
    takes_a_village

Answer by takes_a_village at 2:07 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• its not considered statutary rape if the age difference is 2 years
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:13 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• DomoniqueWS
    It depends on the state. My friends pressed charges against her 18 yr old boyfriend when she was 16.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:15 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Yes, but I think that the sex offender registry needs to detail the charges the offender was charged with.
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 2:24 PM on Jun. 11, 2011