What makes you think there is a god?

i am asking with all the bad things that go on do u ever wonder if there was a god why would these things go on

rinamomof2

Asked by rinamomof2 at 2:18 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Don't believe in god
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 7:12 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Because the Divine isnt there to intercede or make it all right.

We are humans and we have failings and its up to us to make our choices and take what comes from those choices. The Divine wants US to learn and grow from life and its experiences...its our journey not theirs.

Some people do stupid and rotten things...they have to live with that. My job isnt to suffer what someone else did to me and let it eat me alive...my job is to take that bad and make me stronger from it. Its to remember and not let it happen to others if at all possible. I can only cause change in myself not others.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:02 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• The bad things that happen in the world don't effect my faith in God, since I don't believe He is the cause of them, whether they are natural events or the consequences of human action. I believe He set up the world to be able to sustain itself, to be able to adapt and change, and the systems the world uses to do that (like weather and so forth) sometimes naturally result in extreme effects, but I do believe that things like volcanoes and so forth are important, because from the destruction (mind you, I'm referring merely to the earth and not to human populations or death) comes new birth and that is how the earth is able to keep restoring itself, if that makes sense. I don't believe God is involved in these things, that He causes them, or that He intended them to harm us or wants for them to, they're just natural effects of the world we live in - though I do believe that we can negatively effect the earth and cause effects...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:35 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• People cause bad things to happen, not God.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 2:24 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• It really bugs me when religious people say that "free will" causes bad things to happen, or that people bring on their own misfortune. Do they just forget about natural events? How about all the tornadoes that just killed so many? Who chose that? What about people who are dying from cancer?
    OP, I do not believe there is a god, although that has nothing to do with bad things or good things. Bad things are caused by timing, cause and effect, natural events, genetic predisposition, etc. Good things happen, bad things happen, and that's just how the world is. You really can't blame anyone for things that aren't controllable.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:30 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• As for human action and the effects from that, I do believe strongly in free will, and that in order for free will to be true free will it has to be unconditional, meaning God has a non-interference policy (IMO). Everything we do has a result of some kind, whether it effects only us or others as well. We are autonomous in our ability to choose how we will be in the world, what we will do, and I don't believe God causes any of that either. I believe He mourns over the harm we cause one another, but I believe He stands by His policy of non-interference, because to step in at all defeats so much of what I believe is important in terms of God and our relationship with Him and what this life means, etc.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:38 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• "free will" causes bad things to happen, or that people bring on their own misfortune

For those where really confused by that free will question I asked the other day, THIS is the reasoning that inspired it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:58 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• As for natural things like tornadoes and cancer and all that...still up to me to make the best of it and not let it eat me alive inside. Still up to me to take what happens and make myself and those around me stronger by example or whatever can happen.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:06 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• "i am asking with all the bad things that go on do u ever wonder if there was a god why would these things go on"

I used to think like that until I took a hard look at what I believed and why I believed it. I found that when I moved away from organized religion and all the man-made crap that goes along with it, I could feel a connection to something "more". 

Now, as to why "bad things" happen ... it's the way the world is. For lack of a better phrase, shit happens. 

Here's a question for you ... do you think a belief in a god means that only good things are supposed to happen? Look at the Greek and Roman stories ... those were some seriously jealous gods/goddesses. They would cause human suffering because we did something that pissed them off. 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 4:22 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• GOD do everything for a reason,sometimes u think its a bad thing happening to u,but u will figure out that it was in ur favor..and sometimes it wasnt in ur favor,but it was like a punishment from God,to wake u up,and review ur faults and get back to him.and sometimes God might punish nations,by tornados and disasters,thats because he sent them first warnings and signs and still they were very blind to see,so he punished them so that others can learn! u must understand that nothing happen for no reason..everything has a reason and a plan!
    *********

wow... I wonder how my brothers bot dying before age 2 for two completely different reasons were in my mom's favor, and WHY after the first and her not losing her faith-but having it become stronger, it would happen again a few years later... hmmm...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:34 PM on Jun. 11, 2011