How do we get our two year old to go on the potty instead of down the side of his leg?

My son ever since he was about 1 1/2 has put his hands down his pants. We have determined, that he does it when he is going potty in his diaper. Recently, he has also started to push the diaper to the side when he is about to go. We have started trying to toilet train him as a result but he doesn't seem to want to tell us that he has to go he will just reach down real quick and pull his diaper aside. Unfortunately, there is very little warning so we are unable to get him to the toilet in time. Any ideas?

AngelaCook

Asked by AngelaCook at 2:38 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ok sounds weird but we made it a game for both my boys who can shoot the most cherios in the toliet bowl....they thought it was hilarious....then they just caught on got pretty lucky
    momof3ohboy

Answer by momof3ohboy at 2:48 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• The movie Elmo Goes Potty
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 2:56 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Ok scratch that it's called Elmo's Potty Time.
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 2:59 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• With my daughter we just asked her every hour is she had to go potty and we would put her on it either way just in case. We also started putting her in underwear during the day and told her to keep them dry. I dont know if it'll work with a boy but its worth a shot.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 9:32 PM on Jun. 12, 2011