How do I get three children to adjust to a move or behave?

I just moved with my children and their father to my parents house for little while and my children have been fighting, rude, mean, and just not their happy well behaved and respectful self. I have been trying to keep things the same with rutine but its not working. On top of everything my health isnt at its best alot of appointments and I'm a stay at home mom.....my oldest fights with my and my 2nd child thinks everything is funny when its not and my youngest is 3 but shes being very fresh and just not her loving self...what am I doing wrong??? Please help

momof3ohboy

Asked by momof3ohboy at 2:44 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'm sure this is making things more difficult for you, but you need to consider how much is going on in their lives as well. They just moved from their own house in w/ their grandparents, you are ill - that is A LOT for young kids.

Most adults do not deal well with change - it is just as difficult for children. Have some patience with them - they're adjusting too.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 2:52 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• what about when they dispect....lie.....steal (little dumb things from someones purse)and beat eachother badly?? im so lost
    momof3ohboy

Comment by momof3ohboy (original poster) at 2:54 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• aknowledge their feelings and correct them all at once. I know you've had a lot of changes and you're upset/angry/ confused/ sad..... but that does not mean you can steal, talk back or ....
    Allow them to open up to you, kids don't usually tell you how they're feeling completely. They may admit to some things but not fully what's bothering them. Let them ask you questions or tell them this is when you can vent, complain or be angry, teach them how they can do it. Let them know it's not fair, how they can handle their anger, stress. Just validate their feelings.
    I hope things turn around for you soon, stay strong!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 4:14 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Well you'll have to start punishing them just as if you are in your own home, it will soon get on your parents nerves too. Send them to their rooms, take things away, but punish as if your home. It's hard to move for you and them, but they still need to be made to understand your the parent and they are the children and have to behave, esp. in their Grandparents house. No TV, or what ever they're into for an hr or so, and maybe they'll understand your the boss. When they steal, and you catch them, make them go apoligize to the person they stole from, that's quite embarassing for a person to have to do that, esp a child. Good Luck.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 4:15 PM on Jun. 11, 2011