Is the current economy making people disgruntled to others?

I hosted playgroup at my house the other day for moms I knew pretty well(so I thought), they walked into my home and started going off on, "how it must be nice to have all this stuff". I was shocked and upset.

First, My husband and I waited a very long time to have children. I knew I wanted to be a SAHM, so I worked my butt off to save money. Why do I have to EXPLAIN myself? My decisions? Is that fair?

I said, "My husband and I both have worked very hard for the things we have. Please don't try and make me feel guilty, I don't appreciate it." It was quiet and they soon left.

So, when I logged onto CafeMom, I see they had kicked me out of the group. The group owner said, the other moms felt uncomfortable around me and she was sorry. These are women who I had supposedly been friends with for 2 years. They knew me, and never judged till now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I think that no matter what the state of the economy is in people will always be jealous of what others have. Some people don't understand that living within your means allows you to save up for something that you have wanted. My husband and I are slowly learning how to do that, we lived beyond our means but granted we ALWAYS paid our bills on time. Don't let these mothers get to you, you seem to be sound on your feet and if they have a problem with it then that is their own fault.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 12:35 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I have helped some of the paint rooms, move. I have started the welcome new baby dinner chain(where each mom makes a meal for new moms to freeze and have ready). I have babysat for many of their kids so they can goto Dr appointments.

I try to look past their comments as frustration over the economy. But to kick me out? I guess you really don't know people, do you?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• what kinda things do you have?
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 10:31 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I am sorry they were so rude to you. It's sad that there is class warfare and you are made to feel bad for providing a comfortable living for your family. How on earth does it effect them? What could make them feel so uncomfortable that they would kick you out of the group? They shot themselves in the foot and will now have to live with their decision. They will have to find someone else to help them with the grunt work (moving, babysitting, planning nice things for new mothers).

You can check out your local MOPS group or Mom's club.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:32 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• The economy is definitely making some people very hostile towards others. I myself have come in contact with more than one snotty person because my boyfriend and I live within our means. We live WAY below the national poverty line, but we budget budget budget and are very careful with our money. When I'm told that I should get rid of internet because I'm apparently "too poor" to afford it, it hurts. I'm sorry they kicked you out. Nobody deserves to be treated bad like that :(
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:37 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Shannon85 ......What does it matter what kind of things she has?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• what kinda things do you have?

I don't think that matters? Why should it?

I know 2 of the moms, their husbands lost their jobs, and 1 mom is going through a divorce. I try to mark it off as they are upset with what is going on in their life. But then to have me kicked out. The owner has messaged me and said she was sorry, but she said the majority felt like they couldn't openly talk about their current problems, knowing that I couldn't relate. Whatever. I guess I am seeing if anyone else is feeling this way?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• caitxrawks

You make me feel so much better. Thank you. If you live within your means and save and plan, I agree with you. You should be allowed to have things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Quinnmae: Thank you. I think I will look into mops.
    Anonymous

• I think that is wrong. What kind of example does that set for kids? It's rather caddy, if you ask me.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:03 AM on Dec. 11, 2008