3 for 1 about chicken

1. What is chicken stalk?
2. Is it the juice left over after boiling chicken?
3. Can u use juice to cook with again?

Kimkh

Asked by Kimkh at 2:51 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Food & Drink

• As others have explained, chicken stock is made by cooking the bones, veggies, spices, and water. Generally you cook this at a low simmer for at least 12 hours, chill overnight, skim the fat, cook again, chill, skim, and heat a final time before straining and freezing or canning. It results in an almost fat free chicken 'broth' that is very thick, rich, and far better tasting than any store bought broth or *ugh!!* bouillon cubes which are mostly just salt. You can can it or freeze it and use it any time you would use store bought broth or cubes. You can make it with ANY meat bones (stick them in a crockpot in the summer). I usually freeze mine in 1 cup portions, flat, in baggies all tossed in a box and labeled. As long as you get all/most of the air out it keeps frozen for months ... and it's a lot cheaper and healthier than anything you can buy except a very few of the 'organic' brands.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:45 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I use chicken stock all the time. For instance if I want to make Chicken and Dumplings, I'll boil a whole chicken until the meat comes off the bones. I then take out the meat with a large spoon with holes in it, then I put a collander inside of soup pot and strain the stock of bones etc. Add chicken back into stock and season. You can also make homemade chicken noodle soup this way.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 3:02 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I think you mean chicken stock. Chicken stock is simply the broth that develops when you cook the chicken. I'm not sure about using it again. I think it you do, you'd have to thoroughly heat it up first. Chicken broth, you can buy in a can. You can use that for many things, including adding flavor to chicken. You can cook with it.

Hope that helps a little.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:56 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Yes chicken stalk is the juice from boiled chicken. I add chicken, 8 cups of water, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper, seasoning salt, chicken bouillon cubes, bay leaves, lots of celery, and onions. And a lot of chefs make their own broth and reuse it so I dont know why you should be able to reuse it if you refrigerate it properly.
    alboston

Answer by alboston at 4:39 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Stock is what's extracted from a whole chicken, with the bones
    Broth is made from meat and seasoning without the bones
    You can tell the difference when you cool it. Stock will get the jello like texture, from the bones, broth won't
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 4:39 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Stock is what you get when you cover the chicken carcass, skin, etc, plus veggies for flavor, with water and boil it, then strain it. Like broth but richer. Stock is amazing to cook with, it's the best thing for making homemade chicken soup or cooking rice or pasta in, yummy.
    Anonymous

• Answer to #1 is #2. Answer to #3 is NO - I however am not a good or experienced cook so I don't know for sure.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:54 PM on Jun. 11, 2011