How to do a first birthday party

simple foods? theme ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• For DS's first birthday my family just had a bbq and he loved The Backyardigans so that was the theme. We had it outside at a park with family and friends.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 3:08 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• for my son's first birthday we just went to the zoo (his daddy, me & him). Our family lives in a different state from us and quite frankly the earlier birthday's (especilly the first) are more for mom :).
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 3:16 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Don't go overboard...they really don't care yet, and as long as you have a little cake for them to smash, you get good pictures.

THB, neither of my kids got how to even unwrap any gifts for their first party...if I could do it over, I would have told everyone to get them savings bonds, and I would have just gotten one or two presents for them to chew on just for pictures. Have a bbq and have everyone bring a dish, set up a kiddy pool outside and just hang out with family and friends...stress about this later when they are old enough to care!
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 4:13 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• First birthdays are big, but I wouldn't have a party out anywhere. Keep it simple while they are still simple.lol My step sons first birthday, we had it at the house we bought a big cake for everybody and one small cake for him. Since it is summer time If you have a big yard or patio/carport. I would have it outside and invite family and maybe friends with small kids and set up a sprinkler or something for small kids and just have like small finger foods for adults. I say it would be easier at home because when you let your child demolish the cake, you will be at home and it will be easier to clean him or her up. Trust me. lol
    sdw123456789

Answer by sdw123456789 at 10:09 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• I just had family come over and made cupcakes and got balloons. Nothing big because they won't remember it. I took her to Chuck E. Cheese for her 2nd bday and that was really a waste of money too.
    llomeli

Answer by llomeli at 10:35 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• For a theme, choose what they love. If they haven't gotten really excited by certain things, pick on yourself or just got with girly or boyish! Simple finger foods are the easiest and less messy. Cupcakes often work better than cake too!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 7:07 PM on Jun. 12, 2011

• We did a cookie monster theme back in March. We had chicken nuggets for the kids and I made pulled pork bbq in the crock pot for the adults as well as other salads. We only had a few friends over and mostly family.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 2:47 PM on Jun. 13, 2011

• I kept my son's very simple. He was pretty tired, so we did gifts and his cake. Then after he went for a nap. WE had food. it depends on when your having it.
    good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 3:10 PM on Jun. 13, 2011