My 5 year old is stressing me out

he is a very active boy, always on the move doing whatever he wants. He doesnt really listen, he's constantly asking questions (even interupting me when i'm talking to someone else). I admit i was to relax with him in earlier years, I let him do basically whatever he wanted. How do I change that without becoming a "bad mom"? I feel bad when I dont answer his questions right away or if I don't let him have a treat when he wants one. Its wearing me out so that as soon as i'm in my bedroom, I am passed out, even in the middle of talking with my husband. I would really appreciate any suggestions!

MammaNici

Asked by MammaNici at 10:28 AM on Dec. 11, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You have to let certain things go like not answering his questions immediately, this way he will learn patience. You have to be the "bad mom" sometimes because it will build his character into a well behaved patient young man, but then again he will still have a lot of moments being only 5.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 10:45 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• disiplining him won't make you a bad mom. He needs to learn limits. Set times for treats or snacks. use time out and be consitant . decide what rules you need in your home. tell him what you expect and what the consequence will be if he dosn't follow them then stick to it.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 10:48 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• you just have to be tought on him and let him know he cant act like this and that he is not going to get your attention when he does .and every time he does things that you dont want him to put him in time out and show him that your not playing any more
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 1:26 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• tell him that. my neice is deaf so she doesnt know any better really and its hard to explain, teach him a few signs that will let him kno you cant talk if your busy or on the phone and tell him he doesnt need treats until after dinner and tell him you dont talk to whiners. i told my little sister (shes 6) that i dont talk to people who whine and its not up for discussion.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 11:36 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• you could also try saying patience is a virtue. i said that to my little sister once and it confused her buying me some time to get something done. i told her when she figured it out it may be up for disscusion
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 11:37 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Try using a "wait card" or signal to indicate to him that he needs to wait before you will talk with him. When he starts to interuppt you, hold up the "wait card"( write the word on a card or place a picture to show waiting) and do not stop your other conversation. Make sure that the waiting time for him does not go on forever. Make sure you do address his question in a timely manner so he learns that you will attend to him soon. Always praise him or reward him when he does "wait" appropriately.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 6:38 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• These moms have great suggestions, but I think the first thing you need to do is get rid of the guilt. YOu will never parent effectively with constant guilt that he is not going to love you or even like you. ITs not true. Kids crave boundaries and thats all hes waiting for. Sure it will seem like he is upset with you, but it will pass quickly and you will begin to see him show more respect for you. He doesn't value anything you say because your not making him accountable for his actions. Youre not a bad mom. If you make your kids ahere to your rules of character and integrity....youre a great mom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Dec. 12, 2008