im reading about all these different methods and not sure which will work.

My son is one month today and isn the best sleeper. he sleeps from about 9pm to 1:30am and then is up every hour or so! Sometimes he is up during the day and cranky because im trying to keep him awake or sleeps alll day either way his night schedule seems to be the same...I was going to try feeding him more at feeding time and putting him in his crib sleepy..or asleep. then try and keep him awake more during the day. any suggestions on this method or keeping him awake during the day?

Byoung10

Asked by Byoung10 at 3:03 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never tried to keep my littleone awake. After a while they get on a schedule where they are awake more during the day. It took my dd about 3 months before she stayed up all day. Right now she may take 3 naps in the daytime and she still sleeps through the night(she is 6months). I would just see what he will do in the next month or so.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 3:10 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• i let my dd make her own schedule and we just had to work around it! she just started sleeping all night 9pm-9am this month she is 16 months old! we did use to leave the lights on during the day and as it got dark we would turn more off so she new it was day and night time! it took her abour 2 months to get it all worked out!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:15 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• It's normal for him to wake that much in the night. My son is almost 3 months and he still get's up through the night. Some night's it's every hour other's it's just once or twice. Let the little man sleep during they day, don't keep him up, he needs tons of sleep right now.
    I'm not sure what your sleeping arrangements are but maybe you could move his bed close to yours so you can just reach out and rock him or rub his belly. Sometimes it's just a comfort thing. But I think if that doesn't work then you'll be getting up to feed.
    I find my son sleeps for longer periods of time when he sleeps with me. We occasionally co sleep.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 3:18 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I always woke mine up at least every 3 hours during the day to nurse. I kept them awake each time at least long enough to get a good full nursing session in so they would have a full tummy. Then I played with them until the next nap time. At night, I let them sleep as long as they would. They all 5 were sleeping at least 8 hours/night by 2 months, and 11 hours/night by 6 months - consistently and never stopped.

Answer by missanc at 4:11 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• i cant keep him awake after I feed him...he falls asleep....usually on my boob. did your kids stay awake after feeding? how long did the stay awake for until nap time?
    Byoung10

Comment by Byoung10 (original poster) at 4:28 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I nurse my daughter on one side, then change her to wake her up and I'll let her have some awake time. I'll talk to her, or she'll have some tummy time. Once she starts getting fussy, or looks sleepy (after about 30mins), I'll nurse her on the other side and start trying to get her to sleep. In total, she's up for about an hour and a half at one month old, then sleeps for about 2-3hrs in between this.
    ours

Answer by ours at 4:35 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• 9-1 is pretty good for a 1 month old. usually they wake up every 3 hours for feeding. You shouldn't keep him from napping if he wants to b/c that's when he grow is during his sleep. At 1 month he can't see too far, can't grab any toys, can't coo much, can't sit up, there's not much you can play with him other than read to him and play some music and talk to him all day. His little stomach only can hold so much milk, he will get hungry after couple of hours even if you feed him that extra oz. My son didn't start sleep thru the night till he's 3 and half months. Just do your best.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 5:28 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• try feeding him baby cereal before bed it helps keep him full an he might sleep throught the night. never wake or keep a baby up this early they sleep cuz they need it if u need sleep sleep when he or she sleeps. they will get on more of a partern.
    BOOKER123ABC

Answer by BOOKER123ABC at 12:59 PM on Jun. 12, 2011