They are so mean to each other! What do I do when my kids can't get along?

They fight all the time. They're either yelling at each other or punching each other or kicking each other and I get so upset I yell at them for doing this once it's gone too far. What do I do???

lil-mama-vegas

Asked by lil-mama-vegas at 3:11 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in General Parenting

• nothing you can do. Some siblings just don't get along.
    notjstasocermom

Answer by notjstasocermom at 3:12 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I make mine stand in the middle of the room and hug each other, Or they have to sit in chairs facing the wall and hold hands and repeat things that they like about each other.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 3:23 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Some siblings just don't get along. If they're together too much that makes it worse. I'd say keep them in separate activities as much as you can. When they fight, send them each to their rooms for a certain amount of time until YOU calm down and then discuss it with them. Then start to take things away from them as a punishment until they can learn to get along, if not you'll be having a LONG summer. If you don't start to punish them some how it's not going to stop, you have to do something to stop them, so start with the rooms and then go with taking things they like away from them. Good luck, I know my DD has 2 that just about hate each other, her problem is the Dad favors the boy over the girl and she's older so she's always wrong.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 4:07 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I've casually said to my kids, wow I didn't know you didn't like eachother. or You must really hate eachother to treat eachother that way. Maybe you guys shouldn't do (something they enjoy doing together). I'll go get rid of that seeing as we don't need it anymore then. They usually jump to eachother's defense or confess that they do love eachother. I remind them that's not how we treat people we love.
    Now dd (3) is another story. She will be so mean to her older brother and sister. I'll remind her of something they've done with her that very day and how nice it was of them. If she still doesn't break then I'll tell her brother and sister for her to hear that they shouldn't do..... for her anymore. Then she realizes they are nice and she should be too. But it's still a work in progress. Good luck with your kidos!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 4:10 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• It sucks but its part of having siblings fortunately I am 14 years older than my SIS and we have had a fab relationship
    rinamomof2

Answer by rinamomof2 at 11:03 AM on Jun. 12, 2011

• Depending on the age difference, let them handle it! Sit them down and say from now on you will not interfere so whoever gets hurt, gets hurt and the one who is less hurt has the privilege of feeling great about hurting his/her sibling. And after they hurt each other maybe ask them if there is a better way to deal with things or if hitting solves the problem. of course all of this is easier said then done. Be hard on them, not on yourself! Good Luck

frustrated

GinnyE

Answer by GinnyE at 2:03 PM on Jun. 12, 2011