12 weeks preggo with fibromyalgia

I am pregnant with my second child. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 6 months after having my son. It had been a problem for about 11 years but it was tolerable and "manageable" (Tylenol helped) After my son symptoms got much worse until they figured out that it was fibro. My husband and I decided we were going to go ahead and have one more child before calling it quits. After about 8 months of trying we conceived. But I can not take my medication while pregnant. Thus bringing me to my question:

Are there any holistic medications or therapies that are safe while pregnant?

Chiropractors, physical therapy, pain pills, and yoga don't help me...

Thanks for reading! Any advice helps, all my doctor has told me is that my medication isn't proven safe or unsafe during pregnancy, and that I could take it if needed. I just don't want to risk it.

Afrontz

Asked by Afrontz at 3:15 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Hi there...I have been in your boat. I find cold and heat are were/are my friends. I use cold if I am actually swollen (I hate cold). I use heat for comfort when I am in pain. I keep the house pretty warm, I use heating blankets and pads, and hot baths or showers if I can stand long enough. That keeps the aches down a bit, but as you are probably aware nothing gets rid of it entirely. My children are funny about all the blankets about. They all end up cuddling together in the living room in the evenings, all wrapped up in my blankets. Best of luck to you and your's.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 3:36 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Congratulations on the baby and I hope you find some relief!
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 3:42 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I find that when I am pregnant that my fibro symptoms are not as bad and are manageable with some Tylenol and a hot bath. I've also found that products like 024 http://www.024zone.com/o24pn.html sometime help but the smell is VERY strong. You could check your local health food store to see if they have soemthing similiar. I think the idea is that it produces a lot nerve sensation (not pain, but just sensation) and overlloads your brain so that the pain sensations don't get in as much.

Do everything you can to reduce stress and get lots of sleep, eat well and exercise. Also if you have people to talk to about your pain when you are having a bad day, a support group or a friend really helps.I also read a book called "The truth about chronic pain" by Arthur Rosenfeld. It helped me to better understand chronic pain.

tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 3:41 PM on Jun. 11, 2011