my son is overweight-i cook nice meals daily-when he tries something new-he runs 2 the bathroom and throws up-he really needs 2 lose weight-as i am very worried. he is 12 -his grades are slipping and i believe his self esteem is low-as mine is-any advice please help me-i am so scared for his health. holliday65 my e-mail is orazio42@yahoo.com thank you all

he is 5' 3". loves to work out w/me but just can't lose the weight. we don't eat red meat in our home,just fish and chicken-lots of veg's-which all he likes is corn. i have been monitering his eating habits and stopped buying all and any junk food.
he weighs 180!!!
please help as i will take all and any advice that you all give!!!
god bless you all and you are all in my prayers!!!
holliday

HOLLIDAY65

Asked by HOLLIDAY65 at 10:33 AM on Dec. 11, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Hi friend! Have his thyroid checked, my 10 yr old is underheight and overweight, the doc ordered a thyroid test and it came out okay. Get him into something physically active like sports. I would definetly have his thyroid checked though. Good Luck.
    misspixie67

Answer by misspixie67 at 11:11 AM on Dec. 11, 2008

• Is he forcing himself to throw up then in an attempt to lose the weight?

I'd have the doc run some tests to be sure it's not medically related. It sounds like you're doing fine with the meals and stuff....just watch the serving sizes. My husband struggles with this. He eats well generally, but he eats too much.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:44 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• I would talk to your pediatrician about it. They could recommend a safe diet for him, hopefully with kid friendly foods. And like the pp suggested they could check him for Hypothyroidism.
    If they do put him on a diet, have the entire family on the same diet. You don't want to single him out.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:03 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• See about visiting a Dietitian. You can still gain weight eating healthy food. Things like cheese are very high calorie. Does he drink a lot of his calories? Fruit juice can be a lot of empty calories. Also, I wouldn't call it a diet, have the family develop a healthy lifestyle. Have you watched if he is making himself puke?
    Anonymous

• take your son to the doctor for a physical and discuss your concerns with his doctor

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 2:39 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• If he is making himself vomit, then you have a psychological issue as well as a medical issue. Deal with both. Maybe counseling with a therapist as well as a nutritionist and have his thyroid checked and anything else that could be a contributing factor. That self induced vomiting would bother me more than being overweight. That could lead to bad bad things. SO sorry youre going through this.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:13 AM on Dec. 12, 2008

• Have his thyroid checked. A thyroid not working properly can result in weight gain, no matter what you eat. Good luck.

Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 5:08 PM on Dec. 12, 2008