Does the oversaturation make us care less?

Does coverage of things like Brangelina donating to Joplin give a new wave of attention to Joplin, or does it make people start to get sick of hearing about it, in light of other weather disasters or tragedies going on closer to home for them (floods, other tornadoes, wildfires, etc)? Does coverage of the Anthony trial keep people focusing all their thoughts on the tragedy, or does it make them sick of hearing the name Casey Anthony to the point they no longer care what happens to her, if she'd just stay off the tv for 5 minutes?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:43 PM on Jun. 11, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• it is ok
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 3:48 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Things like you mentioned are actual "news stories" so I don't mind hearing about them. Things I get sick of hearing about are Weiner's weiner, the royal wedding, charlie sheen........
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 4:29 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I do care very much about those poor people in Joplin. However, I could give 2 flying figs if Brangelina donated, simply to get another photo op. I haven't been following the Casey Anthony trial.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 4:53 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• There is such a thing as "information overload", and I think it eventually does make us not care as much.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 5:01 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• i could see where it would, if you aren't directly affected by ''certain news items''..take the flooding we've endured this spring: in our 'area' (NEArkansas), there are acres and acrea of farmland/agriculture that is still flooded from rains we received in early-mid spring, so much that as you pass by on the now-open roads/highways, you'd think you were driving past lakes. the flooding has done much damage to future profits/income for many, many people/industry/workers who are just kinda screwed. so as much as i'd love to see a good rain today at 98*, its still bothersome when i think of the damage too much rain has done to our area just this year. and the damages are similar, some places worse, from north to south, encompassing various states..not just arkansas.
    someone from say...salt lake city would probably be sick and tired of news coverage of all the Mississippi flooding.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:24 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• like a pp said, the Weiner has been roasted on the fire too long..leave it for the bugs and birds. his wife/family may be sick of it, as well. there's always something to take the place of big news stories that overstay their welcome...a lot has happened since the japan-nuclear plant story..guess some of us forgot all about that, eh? kwim?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:26 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I was thinking more the opposite, like when the midwest gets buried under 2 feet of snow, and all the news talks about is the 2 inches that fell on the east coast. Or more like your situation - the places along the river dealing with flooding today and the people in Arizona dealing with the wildflower that is about to knock out power to half the state. A few years ago, there was a town near us that was half flattened by a tornado, and then about a month later, hit by a fire that swept through several commercial blocks that had survived the tornado. It wasn't big enough news, because there was a larger event that had happened a few weeks earlier in another region that was getting all the headlines. Even as we were trying to figure out what was going to be done there (small town, but a lot of mfg employers), the local news was still covering the disaster of the month 1000 miles away.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 5:31 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• Even as we were trying to figure out what was going to be done there (small town, but a lot of mfg employers), the local news was still covering the disaster of the month 1000 miles away. --

true dat!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:06 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• I don't follow celebrities, and therefore could care less who or what they donate to or make their "cause." I feel they are all PR stunts to give the celebrities well-timed media attention just in time for their next book, movie, or album is released.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:39 PM on Jun. 11, 2011

• *couldn't care less

(for my favorite grammar Nazi)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:40 PM on Jun. 11, 2011